USMLE/COMLEX Solid Pharmacology lectures! - Raffle and Product Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorsInTraining

USMLE/COMLEX Reviews
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Doctors In Training is offering 3 lucky winners 10 free Pharmacology lectures!.
Looking for a .Solid Pharmacology
. foundation?..

.Clinically relevant.. and comprehensive review with an emphasis on high-yield information for USMLE and COMLEX exams and clinical applications... Active learning techniques keep you engaged!

This course is designed for MS1-MS4, Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants!.

."Solid Pharmacology is a succinct yet thorough review of the most pertinent material that we will need for not only exams, but actual clinical coursework."
.-Duke University Student, 2012
"These lectures did an excellent job at summarizing complicated pharmacological concepts, and emphasized important correlations."
. -Temple Student, 2013..

For additional course details visit:.

http://www.doctorsintraining.com/pharmacology/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are these actual lectures that were recorder or are they animations allowing us to control the content. Can you please elaborate on the "lectures". Thanks!

What format are these lectures in, Video/Audio or both? Also, what book are they based off of so a student could highlight as he watched the lectured?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
The last time I looked the list of lectures wasn't completed, or the videos/audio had yet to be uploaded. This worried me and prevented me from purchasing...have you guys completed the series yet? Are there any questions/review quizes similar to the format of the step 1 FA review?

Yes, it states on your website that only 13 lectures are completed? When do you expect to have the rest of the video lectures completed?

What format are these lectures in, Video/Audio or both? Also, what book are they based off of so a student could highlight as he watched the lectured?

Thanks

I second this question. Is there a textbook these videos follow, or is this more of a "sit down, listen, and take notes" type deal.

Also, DIT gets a lot of credit for keeping the material to the most high yield things. Pharm is a massive topic where, I think, it would be hard to keep it condensed to the most important details. Is this going to be a *very* high yield focused lecture series, or will is the topic too large to be exclusive of certain areas. I guess I'm asking if it will be more inclusive or more high-yeld (if that wasn't clear in the first 3 sentences)

Do you provide high yield notes to accompany each lecture?

As far as I remember the lectures are based on Lippincott Pharmacology.Not sure though!
How relevant is it for Usmle step1?

Is there any sort of quiz/test/USMLE-style questions that accompany the lecture content?

What topics/areas are covered in the videos currently available and when do you plan the rest to be available? What is the format of a typical pharm lecture? Are there review questions that follow subjects? Thanks!

Hello everyone!

We are very excited to see that so many of you are interested in our new product! Hopefully this new information will address all questions:

1. All 51 lectures are accompanied by an individual study guide which can be downloaded in a PDF format. Each study guide contains practice style review questions.
  2. As of today, 13 of the 51 are available for purchase. To view a list of available lectures and their details click here: http://www.doctorsintraining.com/pharmacology/course-order. The rest of the lectures are currently being finalized in production and will be available ASAP for purchase!
  3. Currently, the video lectures (which include audio) can be viewed at 1.5x speed.
  4. The course corresponds with Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews, 4th ed..
  5. Flexible purchasing options allow you to buy and try one lecture for $12.
  6. All videos are typically 60-90 minutes and include a lecture by a practicing physician, animations and/or illustrations, Right Brain Bonuses for a change of pace and review quizzes throughout each lecture.
  7. The great thing about this product is that MS1-MS4s (as well as NP and PA students) can benefit from Solid Pharmacology! The course is loaded with clinically relevant info as well as disease pathophysiology and drug information (mechanisms of action, side effects, pharmacokinetics).
Please reference our website for additional information:
http://www.doctorsintraining.com/pharmacology/

Doctors In Training

I looked into getting Solid Pharm but didn't think I'd have the time to do it along with classes and the full DIT course before my test date. But its still in the back of my mind for when I start rotations next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I loved the DIT for step 2 series. You mention that this course is designed for MS 1-4's. Would it be appropriate for somebody during internship who wants to brush up on pharm?

Hi

If this is for MS1-4's, is it possible to get qbanks or a set of questions that are relevant to the exam that we're prepping for? For example, if I were to purchase this now, would I be able to practice questions that are pertinent for Step 1 now and be able to get a different and/or similar but more exam specific set of questions that are pertinent to Step 2 CK?

Hi DIT,

Thank You for the opportunity to participate in this raffle.
If Luck is on my side, I look forward to watching the pharmacology videos that will be available for viewing.

Pharm can be a pain in the----!
I am hoping ur videos change that a BIT...

Thanks & Good Luck in the production of upcoming videos.

Is this meant for Step 1 and/or Step 2 Prep? Are you basically teaching Lipincott's Pharmacology book?

.Hi students!.

I think we have a response for all the new questions/comments posted below...

Q: I looked into getting Solid Pharm but didn't think I'd have the time to do it along with classes and the full DIT course before my test date. But its still in the back of my mind for when I start rotations next year.
A: While it sounds like you’ve got a full plate right now and you’re doing the right thing to focus on your test prep and your classes, we think Solid Pharmacology would be a great addition to your studies after your test. The Solid Pharmacology course is a great way to help you ace the pharmacology portion of your curriculum and to prepare you to rock your rotations. Best of luck in your studies!

Q: Can you download the lectures to use watch/listen to on an mp3 player?
A: While DIT is always looking for better ways to make our materials accessible to our students, Solid Pharmacology is currently only available on the web. The visual aspects of our lectures (such as illustrations, animations, onscreen mnemonics, key terms) would be lost in an audio-only MP3 version.

Q: I loved the DIT for step 2 series. You mention that this course is designed for MS 1-4's. Would it be appropriate for somebody during internship who wants to brush up on pharm?
A: We’re always glad to hear that a student has been pleased with our products! In terms of the Solid Pharmacology, the course focuses both on the basics and on the more clinical applications for the drugs discussed. If you’re looking to brush up to be better prepared to take care of your patients, especially if there are certain drugs you’re feeling a little rusty on, then Solid Pharmacology is definitely for you. Because you can select only the lectures you need, you can use this course to refresh your knowledge of the drugs you want for your internship.

Q: If this is for MS1-4's, is it possible to get qbanks or a set of questions that are relevant to the exam that we're prepping for? For example, if I were to purchase this now, would I be able to practice questions that are pertinent for Step 1 now and be able to get a different and/or similar but more exam specific set of questions that are pertinent to Step 2 CK?
A: Solid Pharmacology is designed to teach clinically useful Pharmacology, without specific regard to USMLE Step 1 or Step 2. The course study guides are full of short-answer questions that are perfect for active learning and group study, but are not intended to be Board type questions. We do not currently have a qbank for Solid Pharmacology, but several good question books (such as Pre-Test Pharmacology) already exist.

Q: Is this meant for Step 1 and/or Step 2 Prep? Are you basically teaching Lipincott's Pharmacology book?
A: This course is designed to be useful to all medical, PA, and NP students, no matter their current year in school. While this course definitely covers material from Step 1 and Step 2, it is designed to focus on the pharmacology portion of your curriculum, and to bridge the gap between the classroom and the clinics. DIT’s Step 1 and Step 2 courses, on the other hand, are designed specifically to cover the whole array of high yield material you need to study for your board exams. To answer your other question, Lippincott’s is a great book, but Solid Pharmacology’s lectures are so much more than simply “teaching the book.” The structure of Solid Pharmacology follows Lippincott’s Pharmacology, but the lectures are enriched heavily by our lecturers to help students apply the concepts to clinical scenarios.

Please let us know if you have any other questions! ;)

Is the same person that does the USMLE videos hosting these videos, too?

Is this course aimed more for prep for Step 1 or the other Steps? Thanks!

Are there any practice questions that go along with the lectures?

Hello again!

The Solid Pharmacology lectures are divided into by types of diseases and drugs and then organized by systems. You can access a list of all lectures here:
http://www.doctorsintraining.com/pharmacology/course-order/

As far as whether it will benefit you when used in conjunction with Step 3, yes! :thumbup: It is packed full of information regarding mechanisms of disease, helpful clinical review information and great information on how the drugs work.

There are indeed practice questions associated with each lecture. They are in a PDF format and available to download for your convenience.

These lectures are not hosted solely by Dr. Jenkins and include several other physician lecturers.

Good luck to everyone that has posted a comment on this thread! :luck: You are eligible to win 10 FREE lectures! :highfive:SDN will choose the winners randomly and then we will contact them with information on how to redeem your prize.

I was also wondering what the timetable is for uploading the videos which are currently in production. Can you give us any sort of a timetable for when they will be available by? This summer? 2012?

Thanks!

Who teaches the pharm? Is it a pharmacologist or an MD/DO?
Also, does it repeat stuff from Lippincott's or do they add more to it?
Loved it for Step 2!

Thanks for answering the questions.

Do the lectures integrate knowledge and give a solid background in areas like physiology before going into the specifics of each drug or does it pretty much just follow along with Lippincotts?

Also, since that is the "text" for it, is it used as a way to prep yourself for the lecture or simply follow along with the speaker?

Hi,

Is this the first year of DIT doing these lecture series? Also, would Dr. Jenkins be a lecturer?

Thanks!

Do you provide high yield notes to accompany each lecture?

When I signed up for DIT, they gave me a sneek preview to the PHARM lectures. There was an 8-10 page PDF attached that followed various lectures. I watched one about Insulin and really felt engaged. There were breaks in the lecture, a little comedy relief (sometimes the cheesiest mnemonics are the easiest to remember), but most importantly, the information presented was high yield, concise and well put together.

For the most part it was a Doctor discussing Insulin, but there were charts he'd show, random mnemonics and overall, a well put together audio/video presentation.

Thanks DIT
Hopefully I get to learn more than just Insulin w/10 free Pharm lectures!

Sounds awesome. I checked out your website when I was practicing for Step 3 and the pharm lectures definitely caught my eye. Hopefully I'll get to check them out!

When I signed up for DIT, they gave me a sneek preview to the PHARM lectures. There was an 8-10 page PDF attached that followed various lectures. I watched one about Insulin and really felt engaged. There were breaks in the lecture, a little comedy relief (sometimes the cheesiest mnemonics are the easiest to remember), but most importantly, the information presented was high yield, concise and well put together.

For the most part it was a Doctor discussing Insulin, but there were charts he'd show, random mnemonics and overall, a well put together audio/video presentation.

Thanks DIT
Hopefully I get to learn more than just Insulin w/10 free Pharm lectures!

So, the PDF's are split up by lectures? Or the whole thing?

DIT helped me out a lot during Step 1 but I had FA like everyone else. Do we need to have the Lippincott's book to know what's going on?

I used DIT for Step 1 and Step 2 and, despite the fact that it was hard financially for me, I loved them. It really helped me focus my studying. I just wanted to check in to say thank you for making these lectures available to buy one at a time. That way I can pick which to buy at the time I need them!

Is there decent repetition throughout the lectures? I know pharmacology is what I'm struggling with, and this would help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.