solo practice better or group practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentpassion

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Which type of practice is better in terms of net income...solo or group?

Say...would it be better if you open your own practice or
if you open practice with your brother who is also a dentist?

What are advantages and disadvantages of each type?

How would income differ in eacy type of practice?

I would appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, according to an article I read in Dental Economics a huge group office tends to lose money. The cost of running a clinic with three or more dentists are far greater and overhead runs above 60%. Group offices with more than 3 dentists do not necessarily have more patients. From the graphs it looks like a practice with two dentists is usually the best when it comes to group practices. Anything above two dentists usually gets a little too complicated, and decreases profitablility. However, running solo you can make more money than by working with others. However, it depends on your business plan. If you have an endodontist, pediatric dentist, orthodontist, and a couple of GP's you will be set and that type of well-rounded practice will thrive, if you get enough patients that is.

It all comes down to two things:

1.) Patients
2.) Location

DesiDentist

Speaking of Dental Economics and huge offices, has anyone seen April's Office of the Month. That sucker is sweet.

Originally posted by PashaJ
Speaking of Dental Economics and huge offices, has anyone seen April's Office of the Month. That sucker is sweet.

The damn thing is a mansion, baby! I couldn't believe it. I wonder if the dentist lives in there as well?

DesiDentist