Solution? combined medonc/radonc residency programs (the new med-peds)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakFlag

spiral of silence
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
combined medonc/radonc residency programs

think about it. excellent med-peds programs have existed for more than a hot minute with good trainee outcomes.

any chance creating combined medonc/radonc programs could help fix the radonc job market and prevent the radonc applicant pool brain-drain?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This had been advocated here before. I agree completely, however, the more I think about it I wonder what would happen to current med and rad oncs. It would decrease both of our marketability, no? Also, academic programs can barely cut one residency spot, I doubt they have enough desire to create physicians more qualified then they are esp. if they aren’t going to churn out a retrospective reviews for them.

Med onc is a fellowship, rad onc is a residency. How do you propose that gets reconciled? Rad Oncs don't really learn inpatient management outside of maybe intern year. When would general inpatient management be learned? How many years are we talking about? 3 IM, 2 Med onc, 3 Rad Onc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Med onc is a fellowship, rad onc is a residency. How do you propose that gets reconciled? Rad Oncs don't really learn inpatient management outside of maybe intern year. When would general inpatient management be learned? How many years are we talking about? 3 IM, 2 Med onc, 3 Rad Onc?

I missed this thread and just wrote a post about this in another thread, but:

1) Holman already permits 27 months for RadOnc
2) In current Heme/Onc fellowships, only 9-12 months are dedicated to MedOnc (the rest of the time either Heme or Research)
3) If you take the structure of a standard IM Residency and remove outpatient and elective rotations, there are probably only 18-24 months of true inpatient medicine rotations (I'm sure this varies a lot from program to program, but the minimum is 18 months of supervised inpatient training)

Doing rotations on an inpatient Oncology ward probably count for both IM and MedOnc (not sure - what I am sure is that I spent a looong time in my intern year doing inpatient Oncology ward rotations)

Bits of pieces of doing something like this already exists, but it would take:

1) an institution willing to make a residency like this (easy-ish)
2) the ABR and the ABIM to sign off (very hard)

This is frustrating to me because of my experience with my MD-PhD training. I was considering a lot of different programs, and ultimately matriculated into one which I felt like had blended the different trainings the best - and believe me, I saw a lot of different ways these programs could be run. Once in my program, I did the standard 24 month pre-clinical curriculum. This was in the late 2000s, when everything was moving towards the current trend of 18 month pre-clinical curriculums, which my school did after I was in the graduate phase. That basically told me that I had endured 6 extra months of training which was actually...not necessary? Because upon my return to the medical phase I completed the standard 24 month clinical curriculum, complete with the "4th year vacation".

The disconnect between time/skill/board exams is sad. The ABR acknowledged it again this year, by permitting people to take radbio/physics after PGY3 and clinical writtens after PGY4. What does that say? It says that ability to pass board exams is divorced from time spent in training.

So, in our specialty, depending on where you train, you could:

1) do the easiest TY program in the country, barely see patients, join a RadOnc residency, do the Holman, do 27 months clinical training, take written board exams after PGY3 and PGY4

and get the same board certification/stamp of approval as someone who

2) does a very difficult prelim Medicine intern year, goes to a RadOnc program which only allows 3-6 months of elective time, not be permitted to take boards until PGY4/5

Which person is likely to be the better clinician? I think we all assume Person #2. But, with the structure of the current system, they're "equivalent" (obviously the nature of your training will be explored come job search time, but that's a separate issue lol).

Given the inherent imbalance that already exists in RadOnc training, why not have a combo RadOnc/MedOnc program? I mean, I agree it would throw job market stuff into chaos - but from a "possibilities" perspective, it feels like it should exist - it would just require people blatantly acknowledge inequities in training.

Reactions: 3 users
Hmm, so 2 years of inpatient only IM with eventual focus on oncologic inpatient management, followed by a mix of 12 months of just solid tumor med onc, and 27 months of rad onc? I suppose that's just over 5 years....

Perhaps 24 months, 15 months solid tumor med onc, 27 months rad onc = 66 months. 6 months for electives/research, that gets you done in 6 years?

I missed this thread and just wrote a post about this in another thread, but:

1) Holman already permits 27 months for RadOnc
2) In current Heme/Onc fellowships, only 9-12 months are dedicated to MedOnc (the rest of the time either Heme or Research)
3) If you take the structure of a standard IM Residency and remove outpatient and elective rotations, there are probably only 18-24 months of true inpatient medicine rotations (I'm sure this varies a lot from program to program, but the minimum is 18 months of supervised inpatient training)

Doing rotations on an inpatient Oncology ward probably count for both IM and MedOnc (not sure - what I am sure is that I spent a looong time in my intern year doing inpatient Oncology ward rotations)

Bits of pieces of doing something like this already exists, but it would take:

1) an institution willing to make a residency like this (easy-ish)
2) the ABR and the ABIM to sign off (very hard)

This is frustrating to me because of my experience with my MD-PhD training. I was considering a lot of different programs, and ultimately matriculated into one which I felt like had blended the different trainings the best - and believe me, I saw a lot of different ways these programs could be run. Once in my program, I did the standard 24 month pre-clinical curriculum. This was in the late 2000s, when everything was moving towards the current trend of 18 month pre-clinical curriculums, which my school did after I was in the graduate phase. That basically told me that I had endured 6 extra months of training which was actually...not necessary? Because upon my return to the medical phase I completed the standard 24 month clinical curriculum, complete with the "4th year vacation".

The disconnect between time/skill/board exams is sad. The ABR acknowledged it again this year, by permitting people to take radbio/physics after PGY3 and clinical writtens after PGY4. What does that say? It says that ability to pass board exams is divorced from time spent in training.

So, in our specialty, depending on where you train, you could:

1) do the easiest TY program in the country, barely see patients, join a RadOnc residency, do the Holman, do 27 months clinical training, take written board exams after PGY3 and PGY4

and get the same board certification/stamp of approval as someone who

2) does a very difficult prelim Medicine intern year, goes to a RadOnc program which only allows 3-6 months of elective time, not be permitted to take boards until PGY4/5

Which person is likely to be the better clinician? I think we all assume Person #2. But, with the structure of the current system, they're "equivalent" (obviously the nature of your training will be explored come job search time, but that's a separate issue lol).

Given the inherent imbalance that already exists in RadOnc training, why not have a combo RadOnc/MedOnc program? I mean, I agree it would throw job market stuff into chaos - but from a "possibilities" perspective, it feels like it should exist - it would just require people blatantly acknowledge inequities in training.
How did gyn onc start with chemotherapy? They are not boarded with ABIM. I think it would be within the power of ABR to develop a fellowship in medical oncology for radiation oncologists -- an extra say 1-2 years of training after rad onc residency. Heck I would do this.

Hmm, so 2 years of inpatient only IM with eventual focus on oncologic inpatient management, followed by a mix of 12 months of just solid tumor med onc, and 27 months of rad onc? I suppose that's just over 5 years....

Perhaps 24 months, 15 months solid tumor med onc, 27 months rad onc = 66 months. 6 months for electives/research, that gets you done in 6 years?

Honestly, I would just cut out the research too, but yeah, making it a 6 year track is totally reasonable.

I just look back at all the "wasted" time I've experienced in my training when, since everything is time-based, in a perfect world I could have reorganized that time and earned either extra degrees or the chance to be eligible for different board certifications. Literally the only thing stopping me from being board certified in Medicine right now is the supervised training requirement - with these darn ABR exams, I'm confident I can memorize Medicine textbooks the same way to pass those boards - and I'm confident every RadOnc reading this post right now can do the same.

Obviously, "life is a journey" blah blah, and if things had played out differently then perhaps I wouldn't view certain things as "wasted", and perhaps everything in my life now functions to make me a better person/doctor/etc. But, having lived through 15+ years of education and training after high school, I can't help but reflect on how things in Medicine could be combined/made more efficient for both doctors and patients. It seems like Europe does just fine with combo Med/RadOncs...I would argue certain countries even do it better (looking at you, Germany).

How did gyn onc start with chemotherapy? They are not boarded with ABIM. I think it would be within the power of ABR to develop a fellowship in medical oncology for radiation oncologists -- an extra say 1-2 years of training after rad onc residency. Heck I would do this.

Good question. Honestly, if you're licensed as a physician in any state you could legally practice any type of medicine you want. I have several licenses across multiple states now, it's theoretically possible for me to open Elementary's Plastic Surgery. Now, would insurance reimburse me? No. Would I win even a single malpractice suit? Also no.

So us maybe splashing 40mg/m^2 of cisplatin here and there is less a board certification issue and more a hospital privileges/malpractice/insurance issue - perhaps GynOnc just "carpe diem'ed" their way to doing it?

Reactions: 1 users
I’ll just chime in I’ve heard of some more rural rad onc practices in Canada where the RO prescribes and manages concurrent TMZ for GBMs, concurrent chemo for rectal cases, etc where there is less outpatient access to MO. Seems to me that the problem is entirely logistical/local credentialing, but the US is a lot more lawsuit friendly for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
US has everything convoluted and difficult for doctors (but midlevels can do whatever they want with unlimited scope).

In UK and India (which follows the UK system) medical oncology fellowship is open to both IM and RadOnc, but most often done by RadOnc.

Reactions: 2 users