Somatic Experiencing is getting its cultural moment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stopped reading right after she said in the opening paragraph that in her session the therapist started 'talking to [her] feet.'

Well...that and the paywall.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Stopped reading right after she said in the opening paragraph that in her session the therapist started 'talking to [her] feet.'

Oh, weird. I got access to the whole thing without a subscription. Try clearing your cookies or use Brave.

Here's the gist though: People in NY and elsewhere are catching on to Somatic Experiencing. It started with Van der Kolk, but the article is more focused on Peter Levine (trying to make him look like a well-reasoned scientist rather than a grifter). He substantiates it in polyvagal nonsense and the article is strangely sympathetic to it. Mostly personal experiences (all positive) aside from that. Here's the quote about science:

Polyvagal theory aside, there is research to back S.E.’s efficacy, though it is only fledgling. The studies aren’t large enough or, for the most part, rigorously constructed enough to be conclusive. But then, definitive research regarding treatments isn’t easy to come by throughout the infinitely complex fields of psychology and psychiatry. In the world of somatic therapy, belief and science are tightly, blurrily intertwined.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, weird. I got access to the whole thing without a subscription. Try clearing your cookies or use Brave.

Here's the gist though: People in NY and elsewhere are catching on to Somatic Experiencing. It started with Van der Kolk, but the article is more focused on Peter Levine (trying to make him look like a well-reasoned scientist rather than a grifter). He substantiates it in polyvagal nonsense and the article is strangely sympathetic to it. Mostly personal experiences (all positive) aside from that. Here's the quote about science:
A couple of the nurse practitioners and counselors I work with are into it.

Try using https://archive.is/ whenever you hit a paywall.

Here's the gist though: People in NY and elsewhere are catching on to Somatic Experiencing. It started with Van der Kolk, but the article is more focused on Peter Levine (trying to make him look like a well-reasoned scientist rather than a grifter). He substantiates it in polyvagal nonsense and the article is strangely sympathetic to it. Mostly personal experiences (all positive) aside from that. Here's the quote about science: Polyvagal theory aside, there is research to back S.E.’s efficacy, though it is only fledgling. The studies aren’t large enough or, for the most part, rigorously constructed enough to be conclusive. But then, definitive research regarding treatments isn’t easy to come by throughout the infinitely complex fields of psychology and psychiatry. In the world of somatic therapy, belief and science are tightly, blurrily intertwined.

Ugh, I'm getting really sick of these cop outs that claim there is empirical support for their pseudoscience while simultaneously eschewing science.

Reactions: 3 users

Therapists who have a foot fetish rejoice!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Therapists who have a foot fetish rejoice!
Jim Carrey Vomit GIF

There is one born every minute. My own practice seems to get the people who are more skeptical and less vulnerable to the woo woo stuff. In fact, the patients who want more of that stuff can always find plenty of places to fill that need. Crystal shops, life coaches, psychics, cult leaders. It is hard for the average woowoo therapist to compete with all of that so I tend to be busy and can charge more than the all fluff and no substance practitioners that abound.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, yes, the same news outlet that published all of those anti-PE articles by that one San Diego guy.

Edit: Do yourself a favor and don't read the comments.