Somatic Nervous System and Adrenal Medulla

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reising1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned that the adrenal medulla releases epinephrine, which is a vasodilator of the vessels that lead to the skeletal muscle.

I also learned that somatic nervous system only uses Achetycholine as its hormone (not epinephrine).

I also learned that the somatic nervous system controls skeletal muscle.

So, why is epinephrine not considered a part of the somatic nervous system hormones, if it is controlling the skeletal muscle? What is wrong here?

Members don't see this ad.

I learned that the adrenal medulla releases epinephrine, which is a vasodilator of the vessels that lead to the skeletal muscle.

I also learned that somatic nervous system only uses Achetycholine as its hormone (not epinephrine).

So, why is epinephrine not considered a part of the somatic nervous system hormones, if it is controlling the skeletal muscle? What is wrong here?

Epi can cause vasodilation or constriction depending on the receptor type it binds to and that only applies to blood vessels (smooth muscle). The key is that Ach's function is to open up the channels that allows Na+ to enter the muscle cells and allow for depolarization, thus muscle movement. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Hope this helps, some differences are these

Acetylcholine = neurotransmitter, fast acting, localized, released by neurons

Epinephrine = proper hormone (enters the blood stream), slower acting, goes throughout the body, released by endocrine gland