Some Advice/Experience with Grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davev

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling in Calculus II and second semester of freshmen chemistry. I feel like those two classes will be my lowest grades -- anywhere from a C to a B-plus as I don't think I can pull off an A-minus. I have three other classes that I know I can pull some type of A in. However, does it look bad if a pre-med student struggles to achieve at least a B+ or higher in chemistry as it is one of the prerequisites? I think getting advice from those of you who have already started interviewing or are currently in medical school would settle my nerves. Was freshmen year rough for some of you? How did you improve throughout your studies? What caused your grades to shift towards the higher end of the spectrum (e.g., change in study habits, more studying, etc.).

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm struggling in Calculus II and second semester of freshmen chemistry. I feel like those two classes will be my lowest grades -- anywhere from a C to a B-plus as I don't think I can pull off an A-minus. I have three other classes that I know I can pull some type of A in. However, does it look bad if a pre-med student struggles to achieve at least a B+ or higher in chemistry as it is one of the prerequisites? I think getting advice from those of you who have already started interviewing or are currently in medical school would settle my nerves. Was freshmen year rough for some of you? How did you improve throughout your studies? What caused your grades to shift towards the higher end of the spectrum (e.g., change in study habits, more studying, etc.).

Thanks guys!
Sophomore year was by far my worst year. Then I studied abroad and life after that just wasn't the same. I had a new perspective and goal and things got back on track.

Change of environment and friends. No longer surrounded by people who didn't care or those who could party all the time and still do well. I made a very supportive group of friends my Junior year. They would make me do all my work so I couldn't find an excuse not to go out with them on Friday and Saturday nights. They even made me coffee with Kahlua right as I was finishing my studies. My roommates would cook and we would all have dinner together around 6, so I made sure to finish my work before then so we can all sit down together and catch up.

New study habit. I went to study in library to study because it was less distracting. I made it habit to go from 3-6 PM and Saturday afternoons. It didn't feel right if I didn't go. I saw how others were studying so much motivated me to do so as well.

Upper level classes with better professors made the class much more interesting. I did well in all my upper level sciences even though I did poorly in the intro classes. I went into office hour almost weekly even if it's just for 5 minutes. It kept me on track to speak with professors who cared about my progress. I didn't want to let them down by slacking.

Don't expect your grades to change without you changing. You have to take action and find the right system for you. Try new things that you haven't done and give it a few weeks and see if it helps. Two poor semesters is not the end of the world. Pick yourself up, because no one else can do that for you. Best of luck!

I had a rough freshman year with two C's in the prereqs. Sophomore year was very good for me however, as I got straight A's. I would say the single most important thing that helped me was to actually have more obligations. I didn't do much freshman year, and wasted a lot of time when I should have been studying. Sophomore year I added research, a part time job 20hrs/week, and volunteering 10hrs/week. All these commitments forced me to better manage my time and therefore my study schedule got a lot more disciplined and rigid. It does look somewhat bad to have subpar grades in these courses but it certainly does not mean you're doomed. Performing well on upper level classes as you progress should be enough to show others that you can handle difficult upper level courses. That being said, only YOU can motivate yourself to make a turnaround. It certainly is possible, but you really have to examine what you are doing now and target ways to change how you approach these classes. General advice I know, but feel free to PM me about study techniques (which really depend on the person).