Some advice for an IMG applying for General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theprince911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, and thank you in advance for reading my post.

I am a USIMG totally dedicated to becoming a surgeon. As such, my entire CV is geared toward general surgery, along with all of my LORs (including 1 strong one from a US chair and another from the chair at my home institution). I scored in the low 240s on my Step 1 (a little worried about this being an IMG, if I'm being totally honest, but I feel combined with my letters it might give me a shot), passed CS, and about to take CK which I am a little worried about. Taking more time on the CK is not an option for me as I'd be delaying applying until next year, so I am going to try my best to pull this off. I also have 3 months USCE, but unfortunately next to no research experience.

I will be applying to as many GS programs as I can all over the country. All I care about is being a surgeon. Going to try to couples match with someone in a different specialty. Can't believe I made it this far, honestly. It's humbling. Actually working finally seemed like such a distant dream and now I want it badly. Is there anything I can do to strengthen my application and thus earn more interviews? I know if I can get a couple of interviews I'd be able to have a real shot at finally doing what I want to do with my life.

If anyone has any advice in general, I'd really appreciate it. I've gotten to where I am only with the help and support of those around me so I value any words that I may gain knowledge from.

Members don't see this ad.

A 240 is a solid score. I anticipate as an IMG the best route to success would be to plan for a preliminary year to demonstrate your clinical skills in America.

I would be very concerned about couples matching.

I do want to couple's match; my partner has been my backbone through all of this, and yes, they are an IMG applying for Family Med, and a couple of IM programs where I have chances of getting Surgery interviews. Their score is in the 230s for Step 1, with strong letters as well. I did some research and I thought that couples match can either work for you or against you in both getting interviews and matching?

We're targeting one specific program where I have someone advocating for me, and if I can match that one my partner is willing to go unmatched on the ROL. Thank you both, by the way, for your responses and advice