theprince911

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Hey, and thank you in advance for reading my post.

I am a USIMG totally dedicated to becoming a surgeon. As such, my entire CV is geared toward general surgery, along with all of my LORs (including 1 strong one from a US chair and another from the chair at my home institution). I scored in the low 240s on my Step 1 (a little worried about this being an IMG, if I'm being totally honest, but I feel combined with my letters it might give me a shot), passed CS, and about to take CK which I am a little worried about. Taking more time on the CK is not an option for me as I'd be delaying applying until next year, so I am going to try my best to pull this off. I also have 3 months USCE, but unfortunately next to no research experience.

I will be applying to as many GS programs as I can all over the country. All I care about is being a surgeon. Going to try to couples match with someone in a different specialty. Can't believe I made it this far, honestly. It's humbling. Actually working finally seemed like such a distant dream and now I want it badly. Is there anything I can do to strengthen my application and thus earn more interviews? I know if I can get a couple of interviews I'd be able to have a real shot at finally doing what I want to do with my life.

If anyone has any advice in general, I'd really appreciate it. I've gotten to where I am only with the help and support of those around me so I value any words that I may gain knowledge from.

LucidSplash

Bloody Plumber
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Couples matching is likely going to make things even more difficult, especially if your partner is also an IMG. Any possibility of not doing that?

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
A 240 is a solid score. I anticipate as an IMG the best route to success would be to plan for a preliminary year to demonstrate your clinical skills in America.

I would be very concerned about couples matching.

OP
T

theprince911

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I do want to couple's match; my partner has been my backbone through all of this, and yes, they are an IMG applying for Family Med, and a couple of IM programs where I have chances of getting Surgery interviews. Their score is in the 230s for Step 1, with strong letters as well. I did some research and I thought that couples match can either work for you or against you in both getting interviews and matching?

We're targeting one specific program where I have someone advocating for me, and if I can match that one my partner is willing to go unmatched on the ROL. Thank you both, by the way, for your responses and advice