some advice on DO schools (NYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biomajor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all
was just wondering if you could give me some advice.......my freshman year of college i went away to suny albany to play lacrosse. i always knew i wanted to be a physician . My dad is one (FMG)...to make a long story short that year i had a 2.0 gpa. I came home and now attend adelphi where i have a solid 3.9 gpa where i obtained A's in organic chemistyr (first time taken)...and have had no grade lower then a B+ which was in one english class..all other upper leval science classes have A's . i have one year left at adelphi and have not yet taken the MCATS......How bad do you think that first year will hurt me?.....What scores does NYCOM take on the MCAT or other DO schools......Should i consider a Carribean Med school....Id rather stay in the states if possible. i apperschiate any feedback at all

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard that schools look more at you last few years of school. SOund like you will have a strong science GPA, and they weigh that heavily. For all the stats and info on DO school go to www.accom.org
The average MCAT for most of the DO schools is around a 27.
Have a great day:cool:

Don't worry about your 1st yr gpa. Obviously you improved a lot and the adcom will look at that in a positive way. I went to NYIT undergrad so I can tell you my NYCOM experience and from what I hear from my friends there....

I got in, but didn't go (I'm at UNECOM now). As a disclaimer, NYCOM is a great school but it wasn't for me even though it meant I had to be away from my family. It has the following:

Really large class size (over 300)
6-7 students/cadaver....we have 4 maximum and it's hard when u get to head/neck
block class schedule (take 3 wks of classes and then 1 week of exam and continue this)

NYCOM does have good rotation sites (as do other schools including UNECOM, PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, etc).

An MCAT of 24 is like the magic number for them, but I know people who got in with a 21, so don't worry. Your grades are good. If you haven't shadowed a DO, I would recommend that you do that. The interview is a big part and they accept a big portion of the people they interview.

Well, we just got out for vacation on Friday, so I'm gonna stop writing and enjoy my time off. If you have any questions, just PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
I had the same thing happen to me! It shouldn't hurt, especially with your great upward trend! Just do well with your mcats and you'll be fine!

You are fine! Don?t worry at all. I have a poor academic history for more than two years, then decided what I wanted to do and buckled down, got A's and B's and had an average MCAT. I was accepted so you have nothing to worry about. Don't blow off the MCAT though; one doesn't make up for the other. Study and take it seriously.

You sound like you are in line for allopathic schools also; think about why you want to be a DO?