Some Advice ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VQPower37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am currently a Junior and will be applying to medical school starting next May. I currently have a 3.8 overall grade point average, and a 4.0 math and science GPA. I will be taking my MCATS in January, so I still do not have those scores. What should be a score that I should shoot for in order to get into a DO/ MD school, it really doesn't matter to me what the two letters are after my name. My extracurriculars are pretty good, I have all the usual stuff, volunteering, shadowing etc.

Any advice on anything I should do. I am very nervous about this whole process, and just want to get in somewhere in the United States.

Thanks in advance guys.

I'd say shoot for a 45, it can't hurt. However, a 32 would make you a good applicant for MD schools and a great one for DO in terms of scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a GPA of 3.8, I feel you'd probably be fine with an MCAT of 30+ at MD schools and MCAT 24+ at DO schools, but the higher you get the score, the more schools will seriously consider the rest of your application. If you've got great extracurriculars, some schools would consider you with lower scores. Please realize I'm making generalizations here. A successful application depends on many factors.

Yes I agree there are a variety of factors, but thank you for all your responses so far, it give me an idea of where I stand. I have been working on my ECs my entire undergrad time, so I think those are pretty decent. It seems like MCAT score is my missing link to a successful application, I am hoping that I will be able to do well on them

I also had another question for you guys ... how do you all manage the stress of getting into medical school ... there are nights that I can't sleep I am so worried about not getting in. Some advice on what to do would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys ...

And you haven't even applied yet. I'm sure the answer to managing the stress of the med school application time varies depending on the person. For me, running regularly helped a lot, as did obsessively checking SDN on the school-specific threads, thus, essentially "hanging out" with others in the same situation who understood what I was going through (which most of my friends did not). I also tried to use the stress adrenaline positively, by pouring that energy into my research, volunteering, and studying to stay on the top of my game.