Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Some Advice ...

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by VQPower37, Dec 13, 2008.

1. VQPower37

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks

#1 VQPower37, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd say shoot for a 45, it can't hurt. However, a 32 would make you a good applicant for MD schools and a great one for DO in terms of scores.

3. VQPower37

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks

#3 VQPower37, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    With a GPA of 3.8, I feel you'd probably be fine with an MCAT of 30+ at MD schools and MCAT 24+ at DO schools, but the higher you get the score, the more schools will seriously consider the rest of your application. If you've got great extracurriculars, some schools would consider you with lower scores. Please realize I'm making generalizations here. A successful application depends on many factors.

5. VQPower37

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes I agree there are a variety of factors, but thank you for all your responses so far, it give me an idea of where I stand. I have been working on my ECs my entire undergrad time, so I think those are pretty decent. It seems like MCAT score is my missing link to a successful application, I am hoping that I will be able to do well on them

6. VQPower37

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I also had another question for you guys ... how do you all manage the stress of getting into medical school ... there are nights that I can't sleep I am so worried about not getting in. Some advice on what to do would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys ...

7. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    And you haven't even applied yet. I'm sure the answer to managing the stress of the med school application time varies depending on the person. For me, running regularly helped a lot, as did obsessively checking SDN on the school-specific threads, thus, essentially "hanging out" with others in the same situation who understood what I was going through (which most of my friends did not). I also tried to use the stress adrenaline positively, by pouring that energy into my research, volunteering, and studying to stay on the top of my game.