some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mp2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I am a british medical student studying at university college london. I am in year 5 of a 6 year programme and just recently done step 1 usmle. I got a 241/99. I understand that this isnt an outstanding score, but is decent. I am interested in working in america, because family reasons (im a green card holder).
I would like to match in a IM programme in the northeast, california, houston/chicago/atlanta. So i was wondering what kind of hospitals would be realistic targets. I know there is no way I will match a somewhere like JHU, Upenn, Standford, UCSF...but I would like to match at place that would give me a great shot at a hematology or endocrine fellowship.

Assuming I do similarly in step 2, do some research ( alot available at my university) and electives in US. What kind of places can I realisticly match at?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

I am a british medical student studying at university college london. I am in year 5 of a 6 year programme and just recently done step 1 usmle. I got a 241/99. I understand that this isnt an outstanding score, but is decent. I am interested in working in america, because family reasons (im a green card holder).
I would like to match in a IM programme in the northeast, california, houston/chicago/atlanta. So i was wondering what kind of hospitals would be realistic targets. I know there is no way I will match a somewhere like JHU, Upenn, Standford, UCSF...but I would like to match at place that would give me a great shot at a hematology or endocrine fellowship.

Assuming I do similarly in step 2, do some research ( alot available at my university) and electives in US. What kind of places can I realisticly match at?

thanks

As a british grad WITH a green card, I think your chances are fairly simliar to an american grad's to be honest with you. 241 step one isn't "outstanding" but it is really, really good. I also think your application would be interesting, especially if you find some research. I think you've got a good shot at many university programs in the NE. The other areas tend to me a little more regional.

thanks for replying promptly. If you dont mind could u suggest the names of these programes. I have no idea where to start, whats good or not good for fellowships etc (except the obvious ones like harvard yale jhu...which even if i was a AMG i would no chance at).

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for replying promptly. If you dont mind could u suggest the names of these programes. I have no idea where to start, whats good or not good for fellowships etc (except the obvious ones like harvard yale jhu...which even if i was a AMG i would no chance at).

I think you've got a shot at Yale, in fact, I'd apply there (Yale's IM residency doesn't carry the same reputation as their undergrad and medical school, which is not to say they are bad, just not equal to the Harvards or JHU). I'd apply to BID, BostonU, UMass, Tufts, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Albert Einstien.

How far down the eastern seaboard is too far? Because U of Maryland is a great program.

I think you've got a shot at Yale, in fact, I'd apply there (Yale's IM residency doesn't carry the same reputation as their undergrad and medical school, which is not to say they are bad, just not equal to the Harvards or JHU). I'd apply to BID, BostonU, UMass, Tufts, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Albert Einstien.

How far down the eastern seaboard is too far? Because U of Maryland is a great program.

Northeast:
Cornell, Penn (total long shot but why not?), MGH (long shot but they offer interviews to a lot of people you might not expect), Jefferson, Temple, Pitt, UMDNJ-RWJS, Dartmouth, (Agree with Maryland), UNC, MUSC...how far south should we go?

Chicago: UofC and Northwestern (again both long shots but why not) and UIC.

California: UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, USC, Pick a UCLA campus (I can never remember which of them is the "real" UCLA program), UCSD (long shot)

Houston: Are you high? Have you ever actually been to Houston? Aside from ripping on Texas (which is kind of an SDN trademark of mine), I have no useful suggestions here (but I suggested 18 other programs above so that should count for something).

Northeast:

Houston: Are you high? Have you ever actually been to Houston? Aside from ripping on Texas (which is kind of an SDN trademark of mine), I have no useful suggestions here (but I suggested 18 other programs above so that should count for something).

What's wrong with Houston? Are you just ragging on the city or the program itself?

Can you guys elaborate on U Maryland? I heard they're a good program but little else.
And also any thought son GW and Georgetown? I heard they're ok

Northeast:
Cornell, Penn (total long shot but why not?), MGH (long shot but they offer interviews to a lot of people you might not expect), Jefferson, Temple, Pitt, UMDNJ-RWJS, Dartmouth, (Agree with Maryland), UNC, MUSC...how far south should we go?

Chicago: UofC and Northwestern (again both long shots but why not) and UIC.

California: UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, USC, Pick a UCLA campus (I can never remember which of them is the "real" UCLA program), UCSD (long shot)

We are on the same page about Houston being one of the more godforsaken places in the country, although I think I'd go there before Detroit. Baylor is still probably a decent reason to put up with Houston, but just barely . . .

The problem with California programs is that they tend to be fairly selective about people with California ties, especially Irvine, San Diego, and Davis. USC would probably interview him, but then, they take like 55 categoricals every year. They probably have to interview everyone with a pulse who applies.

I see the same problem with UofC, which is a very selective program, usually cherry picking the best Chicago applicants, and then skimming whatever other cream they can get from applicants around the country. I think OP would have to have some pretty impressive reserach on the CV to get look form them. NWern isn't such a reach in my opinion. In fact, I have ot be honest in that I don't personally think that much about NWern, but they have good heme/onc, so maybe a not a bad place to apply.

Honestly with the way the application process works these days, sometimes you just toss the crap and see what sticks. As long as he has the money I don't what's wrong with applying to all of the programs we've talked about.

Can you guys elaborate on U Maryland? I heard they're a good program but little else.
And also any thought son GW and Georgetown? I heard they're ok

You mean the "other" Baltimore program? Very overshaddowed by JHU. The gossip is that it is good training, with solid fellowship placement. I also hear that the training environment is pleasant and the faculty easy to work with. None of which I can personally substantiate.

It's much the same way it is with many programs in the same city/state - one has a "bigger name", but it doesn't mean much. Some other examples of this that come to mind are Med Coll of Wis (MCOW) vs Wisconsin and Creighton vs Nebraska.

thankyou for your input.
I was planning completing my foundation training (2yrs post graduation) in the Uk. hopefully by then i could pass maybe MRCP1 and/or MRCP2 written exams. It would also allow me to get some experience being a junior doctor, which would make the transition to a completely new system more comforatable.

Would having 2yrs experience and hopefully some MRCP (royal college of physcian exams) exams improve my chances of matching, or do programmes prefer their residents straight from med school. Also would having components of the MRCP passed help?

As a british grad WITH a green card, I think your chances are fairly simliar to an american grad's to be honest with you. 241 step one isn't "outstanding" but it is really, really good. I also think your application would be interesting, especially if you find some research. I think you've got a good shot at many university programs in the NE. The other areas tend to me a little more regional.

hahaha... 241 is approx one standard deviation above the mean. That is pretty darn good.

thankyou for your input.
I was planning completing my foundation training (2yrs post graduation) in the Uk. hopefully by then i could pass maybe MRCP1 and/or MRCP2 written exams. It would also allow me to get some experience being a junior doctor, which would make the transition to a completely new system more comforatable.

Would having 2yrs experience and hopefully some MRCP (royal college of physcian exams) exams improve my chances of matching, or do programmes prefer their residents straight from med school. Also would having components of the MRCP passed help?

By the time you've completed your F1/F2 years, you will be more advanced than most interns in the US. It is a good idea to pass your MRCPs and also take USMLE step 2 because they cover similar material.

By the time that you're a SHO, you will have more hands-on experience than 2nd year residents in the US and that should give you a huge boost when applying to programmes.

hahaha... 241 is approx one standard deviation above the mean. That is pretty darn good.

Are we going to quibble about the personal subjectve definition of "outstanding"? Thr score is good, I said it was good. It's not outstanding. 260+ is outstanding.

How are scores 250-259 rated?

Scores in this range are generally frowned upon. It lies in the intermediate zone between "very good" and "outstanding" which demonstrates to the program director an inability to commit and lack of leadership skills.

Scores in this range are generally frowned upon. It lies in the intermediate zone between "very good" and "outstanding" which demonstrates to the program director an inability to commit and lack of leadership skills.

ROFLMAO...now that's funny.

Hahahahahaha. Best response ever.

I'd go as far as to say it's an outstanding response

thank you for you input. I was wondering whether passing some of the MRCP exams would give a adavantage when applying and would PDs recognise them