Some advise: Case Western VS. WesternU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

247_sandwich

Navy Corpsman (2009-2014) turned Dental Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I was really blessed to get accepted into a few schools, and have been looking at tuition which is a big thing for me, as well as quality of education. Fortunately, I've been able to save some military G.I bill benefits ( prior Navy service) so I will have a portion of my 1st year tuition covered. However, I'll have to take out loans like everyone else for the rest.

I really value small class sizes and a holistic approach to healthcare. I'm from San Francisco, so I know how much the cost of living can add up. Which is one reason why Case Western and WesternU appeal to me. I understand Case Western has a better name and a new facility for dental students to be ready in 2019. WesternU also has nice facilities + great staff from my interactions as well. However can any talk about their experiences at either of these schools?

I did gain acceptance to USC and Tufts - Both great programs but too expensive in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello. I was really blessed to get accepted into a few schools, and have been looking at tuition which is a big thing for me, as well as quality of education. Fortunately, I've been able to save some military G.I bill benefits ( prior Navy service) so I will have a portion of my 1st year tuition covered. However, I'll have to take out loans like everyone else for the rest.

I really value small class sizes and a holistic approach to healthcare. I'm from San Francisco, so I know how much the cost of living can add up. Which is one reason why Case Western and WesternU appeal to me. I understand Case Western has a better name and a new facility for dental students to be ready in 2019. WesternU also has nice facilities + great staff from my interactions as well. However can any talk about their experiences at either of these schools?

I did gain acceptance to USC and Tufts - Both great programs but too expensive in my opinion.

Hi there, Army vet here and accepted to Case as well. Like you I was fortunate for multiple acceptances (Tufts too). While I can't say anything about WesternU (applied but haven't heard back), I can say that the biggest plus for Case, for me, is their small class size (~80). I feel like that along with their Preceptor Program, will make for more personalized attention. While I'm excited for the new Health Sciences bldg, part of me wonders how that transition in 2019 will affect our studies at the time- i.e. a stressful adjustment period for staff, faculty, and students. I'd be interested in your thoughts as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there, Army vet here and accepted to Case as well. Like you I was fortunate for multiple acceptances (Tufts too). While I can't say anything about WesternU (applied but haven't heard back), I can say that the biggest plus for Case, for me, is their small class size (~80). I feel like that along with their Preceptor Program, will make for more personalized attention. While I'm excited for the new Health Sciences bldg, part of me wonders how that transition in 2019 will affect our studies at the time- i.e. a stressful adjustment period for staff, faculty, and students. I'd be interested in your thoughts as well.

That's great to hear, and nice to know other vets are doing well!! Case had a lot of positives for me. It's hard to tell how the Health Sciences bldg. will impact our studies and patient care experience. From what it seems the transition is well planed, so hopefully it goes smoothly. I am hoping that the technology they are integrating is readily available once we are there like CAD/CAM and whatever else. It will be nice to have entirely new facilities:) Cohesiveness, small class and sense of community were big factors as well.

From what Case reported, the median debt for Class of 2017 was $382,744 (I'm assuming this doesn't include the interest) which is on the lower end-ish. WesternU is slightly lower (by $15,563) using their student average debt.

Are you leaning towards Tufts?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
go with the cheapest school. classmates of mine, as well as friends in other private schools who maxed out on loans for dental school are paying ~2500-3000 per month trying to pay it off asap.

That's great to hear, and nice to know other vets are doing well!! Case had a lot of positives for me. It's hard to tell how the Health Sciences bldg. will impact our studies and patient care experience. From what it seems the transition is well planed, so hopefully it is goes smoothly. I am hoping that the technology they are integrating is readily available once we are there like CAD/CAM and whatever else. It will be nice to have entirely new facilities:) Cohesiveness, small class and sense of community were big factors as well.

From what Case reported, the median debt for Class of 2017 was $382,744 (I'm assuming this doesn't include the interest) which is on the lower end-ish. WesternU is slightly lower (by $15,563) using their student average debt.

Are you leaning towards Tufts?

Tufts definitely has a strong clinical program. However, it's that 200+ class size that's putting me off in addition to the high cost of living in Boston. I really love Boston though. Every time I visit I always find something new to see and do, but I wonder if living in the city will grow tiresome after a couple years.