Some C's and D's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 C's and 2 D's on my transcript going into my last semester before applying and I'm a little worried if adcoms will care much about these. My overall and science gpa are both a little over a 3.6 even with these grades factored in and I've also retaken the D's and gotten A's. I also have an MCAT score of 35. I got all these grades during my freshman and sophomore years. Also, my last 60 hours have been a 4.0. My ECs are solid and I'm sure my recs will be as well. Given this info, how do you guys think I look?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow great job bringing your GPA back up. That upward trend is definitely something adcoms will take into consideration. Your GPA is fine, not extremely competitive, but good enough to get in. As long as your science GPA is decent as well, I think you'll be ok, especially with the solid MCAT. Just remember to apply broadly and have a good explanation about the low grades should they come up in an interview (focus on what you learned and how you then buckled down and got 4.0's).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your upward trend will help. If you say what happened in those first two years then you should be fine.

I've got 2 C's and 2 D's on my transcript going into my last semester before applying and I'm a little worried if adcoms will care much about these. My overall and science gpa are both a little over a 3.6 even with these grades factored in and I've also retaken the D's and gotten A's. I also have an MCAT score of 35. I got all these grades during my freshman and sophomore years. Also, my last 60 hours have been a 4.0. My ECs are solid and I'm sure my recs will be as well. Given this info, how do you guys think I look?

You'll be fine, I had a D and an F :eek: and I got accepted.

Good job bringing up that GPA.

Great upward trend. Congrats! Very good MCAT too. Lots of people have gotten in with Ds and Fs, even without retakes. Get all of your information together and post a detailed thread in the "what are my chances" forum, when you get ready to apply. I think you're in good shape. Godspeed!

The Ivies and Stanford might sneer at you for being all too human,but you'll be fine everywhere else.

But be prepared for the inevitable "So, premed007, what was up with these Cs and Ds?" at interview. It's a common question.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine, I had a D and an F :eek: and I got accepted.

Good job bringing up that GPA.

Sorry to necro-bump, but I'm kinda in a same boat. Did you get your D and F in non-science courses? And were your cGPA/sGPA & MCAT high enough to compensate?

Sorry to necro-bump, but I'm kinda in a same boat. Did you get your D and F in non-science courses? And were your cGPA/sGPA & MCAT high enough to compensate?

Haha always good to remember my mediocre grades from back then.

Anyways, the D and F were sciGPA and my MCAT was a 30 (not sure what the new score translates to). One was genchem and the other was a math course. I just applied broadly and when asked I gave them a good reason why that semester sucked and kicked ass. I also did an SMP and had a 3.94 GPA in it. While I like my MD school, my only regret (aside from my obvious grades) would be not retaking the MCAT for a higher score.

Have a good explanation and your fine...I had a C and an F with the same MCAT as you and got 11 interviews. It came up maybe 1-2 times and they were pretty understanding.

Have a good explanation and your fine...I had a C and an F with the same MCAT as you and got 11 interviews. It came up maybe 1-2 times and they were pretty understanding.

11?! wow! That's a lot! Was your cGPA/sGPA high? Did you have stellar ECs? What else worked for you? (e.g., URM?)

Be careful, around ~50% of medical schools will not accept old MCAT scores next cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

11?! wow! That's a lot! Was your cGPA/sGPA high? Did you have stellar ECs? What else worked for you? (e.g., URM?)

Na, around a 3.4 cum/3.2 science. You just need to be able to intellenegently explain why you messed up and show maturity and improvement. Those are traits that are invaluable to med schools and tough to find.

*ECs were probably a little above average, but nothing crazy. And I'm a white dude...not a particularly in demand demographic lol.