Some Fast and Free ways to improve manual dexterity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habeshama

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer I taught about taking classes to improve my Manual dexterity such as a jewelry making class, sculpting class, and even ceramics. Since I am going to be busy taking Anatomy and Physiology and also working, I don’t think I will have time. Do you all know how to improve Manual dexterity without having to pay for a class? I am not talented in drawing/painting, I don’t play any video games, or any instruments…if you happen to do anything during your spare time that has improved your manual dexterity can you please share? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

take some intro music lessons. Drums or guitar.

Knitting? Yarn and needles are cheap, and you can find instructions online. And once you get good enough, you don't have to watch your hands so you can watch TV or read or otherwise multi-task while you knit. I just knit simple scarves and such and then donate them to a women's shelter or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
take some intro music lessons. Drums or guitar.

Does playing guitar help for manual dexterity?
I plan on mentioning that when interviewing if I am asked about manual dexterity. yet i am not sure if it would impress an interviewer.

Does playing guitar help for manual dexterity?
I plan on mentioning that when interviewing if I am asked about manual dexterity. yet i am not sure if it would impress an interviewer.

Depends on the type of guitar someone plays. If one is a powerchord player, probably not so much. However, if one dabbles in intricate cord progressions and soloing, absolutely yes. And if one plays guitar hero as a substitute, they fail at life.

You could also go with woodworking (something that includes carving) or model-making... I always wanted to make a ship in a bottle... haha.

As far as guitars go, they could count. Especially if you play classical or something that requires picking...

Speaking of guitar hero... Brian (admissions director guy at Temple) actually mentioned that playing guitar is a good example of manual dexterity but, as fun as it is, guitar hero doesn't really count...

You could learn to crochet. This is very simple.

so video games count as manual dexterity? Is anyone going to include that in their application?

so video games count as manual dexterity? Is anyone going to include that in their application?

I think posting your scores in Wii Sports on your application gives a pretty good measure of your abilities.:D

Model building?
The way I got good at dexterity was just many years of practice... I built model cars for a really long time starting when I was about 9. When I was 13, I switched into building and racing radio control cars. When I was 15 up until now(20), my hobby has been working on, racing and modifying real cars, lol.

i've been making hemp jewlery for a while now (learned at a summer camp loooong time ago). i can also make baskets or basic textiles using the same basic thread techniques (very simple, anyone can learn them).

it may be lame, but whatever....

I've been working at my uncle's shop where we make custom kitchen cabinets for almost 2 years. will that count as manual dexterity and Should I mention that at the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a classical or jazz drummer requires a much higher level of finger dexterity (plus hand/foot coordination, arm/wrist control) than guitar, but yes, guitar would do the trick.

I've been working at my uncle's shop where we make custom kitchen cabinets for almost 2 years. will that count as manual dexterity and Should I mention that at the interview?

yes it would. i would mention it, sounds pretty cool. Its certainly unique. Don't be surprised if some adcom wants you to come remodel their kitchen :laugh:

I worked as a construction worker for almost 2 years. Worked as a part time painter for almost 3 months, but im not sure if I should tell the adcom that lol

if you know your dentist real well, then ask if you can use the instruments. just try to hold and using all the different instruments at his office.

origami (not paper cranes and airplanes lol)
nail art
playing an instrument

yes sounds absurb, but for some reason my advisor asked me these questions when I first went to her about my interest in dentistry. I mean it definitely makes sense though.

I learned this cool way to practice my manual dexterity when I was about 14. It's easy, enjoyable, and completly free! I've been practicing it pretty much everyday since then. PM me for the details.

can you include musical instruments if you don't play them anymore? i started played violin in 3rd grade for 2 years, then started up again in high school and i played clarinet in middle school. thanks.

This summer I taught about taking classes to improve my Manual dexterity such as a jewelry making class, sculpting class, and even ceramics. Since I am going to be busy taking Anatomy and Physiology and also working, I don’t think I will have time. Do you all know how to improve Manual dexterity without having to pay for a class? I am not talented in drawing/painting, I don’t play any video games, or any instruments…if you happen to do anything during your spare time that has improved your manual dexterity can you please share? Thank you in advance.

If your into working out like me I have these grip squeezer ( i dont know what their real name it google it) but they make your hands stronger or if your really board twrile your pen around and show it off in your interview ;) you should score some dexterity points!!

can you include musical instruments if you don't play them anymore? i started played violin in 3rd grade for 2 years, then started up again in high school and i played clarinet in middle school. thanks.

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. I played piano for 7 years and clarinet for 8 years, but I quit both of them at least a few years ago. I don't know if those still count. At some point I had manual dexterity, so it's not like I'm physically incapable of it - I just haven't practiced in a while. If I had access to the intruments and enough time, I could probably regain some form.

Video games. I put that on my manual dexterity :D.
If you happen to do research in a lab with plants you can have the opportunity to perform crosses. this involves dissecting the male and female reproductive organs of the plants with a forceps under a dissecting microscope and requires manual dexterity, steady hands and a gentle touch.

...and video games.

bump

Video games. I put that on my manual dexterity :D.
If you happen to do research in a lab with plants you can have the opportunity to perform crosses. this involves dissecting the male and female reproductive organs of the plants with a forceps under a dissecting microscope and requires manual dexterity, steady hands and a gentle touch.

...and video games.