Some feedback plz? I hardly got any on other forums :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

technodoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, (sorry for this long essay, but any help would be appreciated. thx.)
Im new to this forum, and you probably get this question a lot, so I will cut right to the chase.

Im a 17 year old senior, and Im interested in medicine, but Im not sure if I wanna do it for the right reasons, consequently, if it's even good for someone like me. See, Im a planner kinda guy, and I will never have peace of mind unless Im 100% sure that medicine is right for me,.

Here are the reasons that cause me concerns:

-First of all, I want to point out that my mom is a gynecologist, but Im not sure if its because she always wanted me to become a doctor that I feel like I have to go into medicine. *Also, my uncles and aunts think that I should go into medicine*. They would support anything I would end up studying though, but thinking about them wanting me to do medicine still influences me a little. I stay open minded though, as I know that I should study whatever makes me happy.
-Another reason I want to become a doctor in general is because I am attracted to hospitals.. Yeah I know its weird, but its the only place I would like to see myself working when Im like 43. I just like them. I know that there are other options in healthcare, and Im also considering them. But since I would like to be a leader *as in highest level*at my career choice, being a doctor would be my best choice in heathcare.
-As for one of those " I like to help people" type my reasons. Im not gonna spend too much time on those because I feel like anyone considering medicine should have them. So yeah.
-Another reason would be because I want to have a rewarding and lucrative career, and I work hard in school for it. I know there are other options, but the careers in Business, Law, and most of the ones in Engineering sound boring to me -___-.
I have other career choices, but I will talk about them later.

I may have sounded confusing but lemme summarize. Its pretty much that I think that medicine is good for me, but Im not sure if my reasons are appropriate. I dont wanna regret going into a career that makes me miserable, yet, there is this little voice that tells me that I should go for it. I can't really explain it.

About my other career options.

I like to build stuffs, and be creative. Also I like computer modeling, animations and programming video games. Therefore I'm also interested into become a mechanical engineer (because they build robots and stuffs), a computer engineer(they program video games and stuffs), a computer scientist, an animator. These careers all interest me and they keep popping up in my mind whenever I have the "What if?" moments about medicine. But here are the reasons why I always go back to medicine.
1) Job security. They are all good careers with good pay, but the job prospects are not as good as medicine. Furthermore, I could get fired easily in them and not find a job for months whereas there are jobs pretty much everywhere in medicine.
2) Engineering sounds fun, but I dont see myself study Heavy math in college for 4 years. I know that I will encounter math everywhere. But for engineering its different. Its what they do ALL THE TIME, and its pretty hardcore. I am not bad in math, heck, Im really good at it.*if I practice a lot ;D*. But I dont think Im good at it enough for engineering. Like I said before Im good at it if I practice a lot, and since math ,engineering level, is much more difficult, I think I will be struggling for my whole 4 years of undergrad study, which I would not like.
3) Whenever I tell my parents that I wanna animate characters, and program video games, they dont like it very much, because they think that its not a *how can I say that?* serious/challenging/ lucrative career. They would say that "Im too smart to go study that". I know that their point of view is not good, but when I think about it, I would be happier doing something more challenging with better job security. In these careers, creativity and art skills matter more that anything else. Also, the older you get, the more likely you will get fired. (according to what I read online).
4) I have also considered other careers that combine all of my options together and so far, biomedical engineering is the perfect match. Unfortunately though, getting a job in that field is super hard and the major itself is considered a jack of all trade master of none. meaning that I will have to study traditional engineering majors then master in it. Also, most of the jobs available in that field a research jobs, and I don't see myself doing research in a lab as job... so yeah.
Back to medicine, Im currently trying to find a hospital where to volunteer, and a physician to shadow over the summer.
So, after all of that confusing reading (sorry for the length), what do you guys think? Am I going into medicine for the right reasons? or should I look elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.