Some Funny Dental School Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endotom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I want to share some funny stories from when I went to dental school. Feel free to add to them.

Story #1

When I was in school, we usually scheduled our patients for 3 or 4 hour appointments, so a no-show or a late cancellation was a real waste. I happen to have the school record for the best excuse for a no-show. Seems this was the last of 8 apointments for my denture patient when I was going to insert the denture and finally it would walk out the door and I would get credit for the case. The bill had to be payed at the buisness office, final insertion and adjustments done, then I get my credit. Maisey, lovely very overwieght gal didn't show. Reason: " I cut my toe nails to short last night and I couldn't walk down the hill." Beat that one.

Story #2

We had open cubicles in Diagnosis that were used for first appointmnets and consultations, with just partitions in between. Tommy White was examining his new patient and introducing her to the fine quality of care and superior facilities. By overhearing the conversation, we knew she had reservations about being treated by students. Now, in this clinic, on the units we had electric heaters that were sometimes used to soften wax and stuff in other clinics. Someone had stuffed a piece of pink baseplate wax down into it and when Pete Friedman shows up in the next cubicle, he switches the main unit on and in about 5 minutes there is billowing white smoke roaring out of the cubicle. Pete gets a cup of water and throws it into the electric heater and all the lights go out over the bay of eight operatories. Tommy White's patient sits straight up in the chair, grabs her purse off the floor and her xrays off the view box and runs down the aisle never to be seen again. Honest to Pete.

Story #3

This is Pete Friedman again. Retorative clinic. His dental assistant was taking a practical exam. This very important exam will be graded by an observer as well as input from the student dentist. Right now he's working on an amalgam and the dental assistant has to hand him instruments and materials he needs, four hand style, without him asking for them. Out of the blue comes this Kamakazi fly and lands dead on the patient's tongue, stuck, upsidedown by the wings. This very nervous dental assisting student who can't make any mistakes is miffed. What is the proper instrument for removing a dead stuck fly from a person's tongue? Resourseful, she picks up an amalgam carrier, sticks into Pete's hands. Pete scoops the bug up with the large end and hands it back. Pete just says "That was correct."

More later.

endotom

Members don't see this ad.

At Marquette we would have fun by asking the front desk staff to page imaginary people to different clinics. For example:

Ron Jiers to the oral surgery clinic.

Barb Roach to the Endo clinic.

Kay file to the Endo clinic.

These are great! Love them! I can't wait to get to school and experience some of these on my own! Unintentionally, of course!

Anyway, I work in a GP practice right now and we all got a kick out of them. The fly story reminded me of two different stories in which we extracted a spider and fly with a suction tip....

Good times....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Rob, remember these ones?:

Dr. Strapp...2309, Dr. Jacques Strapp, 2309

Dr. Tinkle....2309, Dr. Ivana Tinkle, 2309

Dr. Butreeks...2309, Dr. Maya Butreeks, 2309

Dr. Nasium....2309, Dr. Jim Nasium, 2309

Dr. Klosov...2309, Dr. Oliver Klosov, 2309

Dr. Hunt...2309, Dr. Mike Hunt, 2309

Dr. Rotch....2309, Dr. Mike Rotch, 2309

Dr. Guzinya...2309, Dr., never mind................

Believe me, I'm trying to keep this as clean as possible, but I got to tell you this one:

Dr. Kanzak, first year histology class, in front of the whole class of 127 people was lecturing on epithelium, showing slides of tissue preparations. He came to mucosal linings and pointed out in a slide that the vagina was lined with psudosatisfied squamous epithelium. Hello Dr. Freud?

endotom

Let me know if there's anyone out there that didn't hear the story about making the premeds taste the urine. This really happened to me in 1974.

Originally posted by endotom

Story #3

This is Pete Friedman again. Retorative clinic. His dental assistant was taking a practical exam. This very important exam will be graded by an observer as well as input from the student dentist. Right now he's working on an amalgam and the dental assistant has to hand him instruments and materials he needs, four hand style, without him asking for them. Out of the blue comes this Kamakazi fly and lands dead on the patient's tongue, stuck, upsidedown by the wings. This very nervous dental assisting student who can't make any mistakes is miffed. What is the proper instrument for removing a dead stuck fly from a person's tongue? Resourseful, she picks up an amalgam carrier, sticks into Pete's hands. Pete scoops the bug up with the large end and hands it back. Pete just says "That was correct."

More later.

endotom

I love that one! So, if a fly lands on my patient's tongue, I'm to use an amalgam carrier to remove it? :laugh:

And I love the pee one. I've heard that from many profs in my undergrad years.

Our Physio professor was telling us about the med students tasting urine to see if the patient has diabetes (ie if the urine is sweet).

pseudoSATISFIED????

Bwahahaha! I'd have died laughing in that class!