Some good schools to apply to with lower stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've just made a GIGANTIC :confused: list of schools that I could possibly apply to and am trying to narrow it down. I have a lower gpa, good mcat, been published and have solid recs...I know that I shouldnt shoot for any top ten med schools but I'm wondering what are some programs that pop into peoples heads that are relatively solid but not as famous and competitive...

Members don't see this ad.

You should aim for ~20 schools with the break down roughly as follows:
~10 schools with averages around your scores
~5 schools slightly higher than yours
~5 schools much higher

Choose based on location and curriculum, and these are completely up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
Buy an MSAR when they come out.

The MSAR is not out yet? I haven't looked or anything, but I thought they usually come out in March.

Don't put yourself down. Its not all about numbers. I know of people who have been accepted to Mayo Med school with a 24 MCAT. Like the others said, just make sure that you spread out your schools evenly. I can be honest in saying that the HBCU med schools (Morehouse, Howard, Meharry) do accept students with lower stats, but they aren't the only ones (as you can see with Mayo). Just make sure you have enough low, middle, and upper tier schools...even them out.

Oh yeah, and also like the others said, the MSAR will work wonders for you. You can buy it right off the AAMC website or through SDN.