Some help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poddoc013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying to raise my science gpa, and I am currently enrolled in a masters programs for Biology. I have a 2.6 science. Im taking 11 credits in the fall of MS classes and planning on taking the mcats in Jan. Should I take a heavier course load? I would think 11 credits is a pretty heavy load for MS???

I would definitely stick with 11 credits in the fall of MS classes. Mainly because you need as much time as possible to prepare for the MCAT. And if your not ready to take the MCAT in Jan then simply postpone it. Good luck in raising your science gpa.

Whoa, 11 masters credits is A LOT! The typical full time load of a MS student is 9 credits/semester...

Members don't see this ad :)
do they decide who gets into the five year program or do you have to apply for it separately?

You dont apply seperately and they decide who is a 5 and who isnt. You can choose to be a 5 from the start though as many of the 5's do. With that said people have switched out of the 5 and into the 4 and vice versa once the year has started.

If you're doing masters level work, I would seek out the advanced Anatomy and Physiology courses. If there is a medical school attached to your university then you might even be able to take the same courses that the med students are taking.

You want to be able to show adcoms that you are capable of doing the level and type of work that will be required in pod school.