Some honest advice please!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colt 45

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...This was my second time taking the MCAT..

first time around:
PS: 8
VR: 6
BS: 9
WS: Q

This time:
PS: 10
VR: 5 :(
BS: 11
WS: M

I went up a good amount in the sciences..BUT WENT DOWN IN VERBAL!!!!!!!! (WHICH I DIDNT THINK WAS POSSIBLE!!! :laugh: ) Do u guys think I have a shot at getting into ANY medical school?

I was a biochem major with a 3.937 GPA.... NY resident. I've done some volunteer work and have held the same job (not medically related) for the last 4 years (part time). Hope this isnt too sensitive a topic...but I am Colombian...how does being a URM really help u?..how does that work?... Thank you so much for your comments :)

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT avg for accepted URMs is 25...since you got a 26 and have a strong GPA...you have good shot!

where did u get the info. on the avg MCAT scores of accepted URMs?... or was that just an estimate based on what you've heard? ok..thanks again for the feedback guys.... :)

QuietGuy said:
You've got a good shot being a URM. Here are the stats:

Other Hispanics 1993 acceptance rate
Females: 3.42 VR: 8.8 PS 7.9 WR P BS 8.6
Males: 3.32 VR: 9.0 PS 9.3 WR O BS 9.6

1993??? I wouldn't rely on stats from 11 years ago

Members don't see this ad :)
Colt 45 said:
Hope this isnt too sensitive a topic...but I am Colombian...how does being a URM really help u?..how does that work?... Thank you so much for your comments :)

Haven't you ever heard of Affirmative Action???? :mad:

Colombians are not URMs, in AMCAS parlance. Being ESL does make a difference in explaining your low VR, but unless you are going to do mostly bench research, being a doc is all about communicating.

liverotcod said:
Colombians are not URMs, in AMCAS parlance.
Oops! This apparently changed in March. Here's the new scoop. Colombians may *still* not be URM, but it's not so clear-cut any more.

URM is swear it just means anyones that not white, asian, european, etc. As in it means Black, native americans, and Latinos. I believe that "other hispanics" are considered URM as in Peruvians, Panamanians, Colombians, whatever from Latin American that isn't Mexican or Puerto Rican. These
other hispanics" are included in aamc statistics. Am I correct or not?

Follow the link in my previous post. Here's the definition:
"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."
There's a difference between "minority" and "underrepresented minority." The most famous example is Asians, who are clearly a minority in America, but are not underrepresented in medicine.

Either way then, Latinos in general and Blacks in general are very much underrepresented in medicine.

MIKE G said:
Either way then, Latinos in general and Blacks in general are very much underrepresented in medicine.
People of African, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Native American ethnicity was the definition before the recent change. I don't have the numbers, but I would be willing to guess that Colombians are NOT underrepresented in medicine. One reason: Colombia does not share a border with the US, so there are far fewer immigrants from Colombia than Mexico, and they therefore tend to be more affluent and thus able to afford a decent education in this country. I'm willing to be disproved by evidence to the contrary, though.

Colt 45 said:
Hey guys...This was my second time taking the MCAT..

first time around:
PS: 8
VR: 6
BS: 9
WS: Q

This time:
PS: 10
VR: 5 :(
BS: 11
WS: M

I went up a good amount in the sciences..BUT WENT DOWN IN VERBAL!!!!!!!! (WHICH I DIDNT THINK WAS POSSIBLE!!! :laugh: ) Do u guys think I have a shot at getting into ANY medical school?

I was a biochem major with a 3.937 GPA.... NY resident. I've done some volunteer work and have held the same job (not medically related) for the last 4 years (part time). Hope this isnt too sensitive a topic...but I am Colombian...how does being a URM really help u?..how does that work?... Thank you so much for your comments :)

I too was under the assumption that latinos ( I being Peruvian) were considered a URM, guess again, we are not...which is just a load of crap. But before this turns into another crazy thread about URM's let me just say that your overall GPA is not bad at all, and as far as your MCAT, well it is a chance you are going to have to take if you plan on applying this time around. I think being latino will still help you, even if you arent what they consider a URM, we are still a minority nonetheless....I am sure i will get bashed for this but it I were you, I would apply and see what happens. From what I have noticed though, MCAT definitely weights heavier than gpa, and that is just my own assumption, but I stand corrected. Good luck!

let us know where you decide.