1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

some honist answers please

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MSc44, Dec 4, 2005.

1. i was wondering if anyone who took their first practice MCAT felt completly discouraged and not knowing where to begin after it.

I took my first one today. i just started TPR only had verbal and bio lectures but it was terriable i feel like i guessed on like 65 % of the exam.........it dosent make too much sence...high UG GPA and perfect GPA as a grad student in mol cell bio. I know its standardized but WTF

anyone else ever feel like this

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jeesing

Jeesing Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Don't worry about it, the MCAT is a completely different test, it takes practice to get the hang of it. On my first test i guessed just about every answer in verbal, and only did slightly better in the sciences. My 4 friends and I scored from 18-22 on our first test and 4 out of 5 of us improved our scores to 30+ and the only one who didnt is already in med school. Just make sure to review your mistakes and learn from them. Ie. spelling, honEst.

4. QuikClot

QuikClot Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The MCAT is not primarily a knowledge test or a memorization test. It is a reading test.

You are going to learn how to get the infomation you need out of the passages, and how to reason your way to the answers.

Don't worry. You haven't suddenly lost your biology mojo. The MCAT is asking you to do something different than what you did in your college exams. You'll learn how to do it, and you'll score well.

5. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Perdvert
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Those first tests they give out are designed to scare you. I bombed my one and only practice test, got a 40 on the real thing. Don't put too much weight in those free practice exams.

6. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    40 is an insanely crazy score..i think i only know of one person that got 40+

7. DrBuro

DrBuro Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I agree with everyone. Don't get discouraged. Nearly everyone does poorly their first test. Just read a lot of books and practice questions like its your job and you'll be good to go. Good luck!

8. Ebete

Ebete Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Totally agree with you,my very 1st practice test with no review and really old pre-reqs ...a total of 15 :oops: my husband called me 15 for 6 straight months,so I wouldn'tforget how much harder I had to try...definately not a college test. Stick with it and do as much practice tests as you can...that's what I'm doing; and gtting better...by the way I took a break and in between to labor my 2nd. child into the world. Back in business and on track!!! :D

Keep up the studying!

9. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Perdvert
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm pretty sure that you'd be justified in slapping him for that sh!t. I'd testify on your behalf.

10. Arsenic

Arsenic posting from the future
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :laugh:

seriously

11. Ebete

Ebete Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:smuggrin: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: NO Doubt!!!!!

Don't worry guys he did it on good intentions, just teasing :p

12. eflwon

eflwon PlaDO
    5+ Year Member

dont worry, i think i got a 16 on my tpr diagnostic and it took me another three tests to even break 20; my highest practice test was a 25, and i ended up with a 29 on the real thing, not great but i didnt study die hard either. good luck, and dont let a test bring you down

13. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't worry about it. Just practice, practice, practice. :thumbup: Good luck. We've all been there. Now go beat down the next one. :horns: