Some hope for sub 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bafanculo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn';t think i was going to get in this year due to sub par MCATS 28Q, 9,10,9 , mediocre GPA and being a white male didn;t help either ...I applied to 23 schools...but have been pleasantly surprised with 7 interviews, and one aceptance at SLU....so if you have sub 30 MCATS don't worry because there is hope for us all cause schools really do look at the whole application besides MCAT scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!!!:clap:
There's always hope for people under 30 scores (within reason), even if they want to stay MD. As long as the application is well-balanced, you have a good shot!

where did you go to school and what was your gpa and congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations.
I have always thought it is quite difficult to choose future physicians based only on scores and gpa. It seems like it would be quite difficult and in some cases impossible to assess character, personality and integrity from the AMCAS application. Ultimately, it's been my experience that there are some med schools out there, not too many, who really do make an effort to look beyond numbers, as long as you seem basically capable in the academic sense (meaning that you obviously won't fail out).

I think some people don't realize on this board that there are quite a few schools out there that mcat averages below 30. Depending on which school you apply to, some say that if you have a higher gpa, it can somewhat compensate for a lower mcat and vice versa. I talked to the admissions director at a local medical school and told me that that was the case for their school, but not necessarily all schools.

YAY! Congrats! There's hope for me yet! :clap: :clap: :clap: