some kaplan ?'s

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum (Sponsored)' started by kypreos, Dec 18, 2008.

1. kypreos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am at the very tail end of my kaplan online review and I am taking the 5 full lengths first. i just took the 4th FL and I gotta say I am getting Roasted by the PS sections. I keep pulling 6's(and some 5's), this has been my best so far:mad: I keep going back and reviewing the problems but it keeps messing me up. So far ive done decent with the verbal and the Biological sciences arent all the bad. I have a few questions I hope you guys dont mind me asking. they may have been asked b4 but i have more than 1.

1) I reviewed the content for the past 4 weeks but it seems like while taking the practice exams i tend to forget what i studied during the first week or so of studying. Should I go back and review the concepts of the problems that were incorrect or should I continue reviewing the exams and hopefully through understanding what I got wrong, take another exam and then hope I realized what I got wrong or should i go back to the content review?

2)As ive been taking the exams i have been writing down the concepts I should go back and review during the practice exams. Should I just go back and review them from the notecards? or go back onto the internet and go back to the online workshops?

3) are the notecards any good? I havent even looked at them yet. but now im thinking i should start going over them for extra content review.

4)my study method so far has been wake up, take a practice exam, then review the problems (usually the ones I get wrong). Should i be going back and reviewing the actual content of the incorrect problems? and should i also be going over the correct problems?

I plan on taking the exam january 31'st so i have some time but these kaplan FL tests are rocking my world. I did content review from nov1'st to dec. 6th Im thinking I need to continue with content review. heres my fifth and final question

5) I know how vital it is to really master the test not just the material, should i review content at the same time and continue to take practice tests to improve reading endurance and mastering the questions and passages? or should i stop taking practice tests completely until i go through content revieiw again?

I just didnt think i would be pulling scores like 16's on the practice full lengths after a solid month or so of studying.

2. kypreos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  3. Food

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Kaplan practice exams are hard - don't feel discouraged.

As for your study plan...I think I have some tips that I found useful. If you have more than a month before your exam, I think you should cheat on your full lengths. This means that if you come across a concept you don't know (e.g. you forget the doppler equation and how to use it), just look through your review notes and try to do the questions on that passage. This way you can figure out if content is your problem or if it's your way of thinking. You want to stop doing this when you have about a month left though...maybe 3 weeks. I would say continue to hammer out practice tests as often as you can.

If your test is Jan. 31st - I do not recommend stopping your practice. You need to build endurance and speed continuously. You just need some work on your accuracy. I would say you still have enough time to cover serious ground. Don't get discouraged. Also - does the Kaplan online review give you AAMC exams? I would recommend taking some of those - they are somewhat easier, but curved much more harshly. This should shake up your brain a bit and get you used to a different style. The real MCAT would end up being something in between, normally. Of course everything I have told you here is not guaranteed to be true and work...it just worked for me.

It would help if you could tell us which sections you are specifically having trouble in, and what type of questions (conceptual, calculations...?).

4. kypreos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i have DEF. covered enough ground I mean i have studied continuosly since NOV 1st. i tookthanksgiving off and studied "lightly" on the weekends (1-3 hours) but 4-6 hours on the weekdays. Your idea about actually cheating until about a month from the exam sounds really good, ive thought of it but i keep saying to myself that i wont be able to cheat on exam day so i refuse to do it. but I think i might give that a try because i cant tell you how many passages I have done were i go to myself "omg i remember this i remember" but i just cant think of it during that practice test. So i think for the next week or two im going to do this just to make sure everything sticks.

As far as what concepts are rocking my world, pretty much everythiing from Gen Chem. during pre med i got c's in gen chem and A's in Ochem, a wierd thing to do I know, but specifically what kicks me in the behind is distinguishing bw lewis acids and bases if rxn's(i know please dont laugh) , galvanic and electrolytic cells, and these especially after reading through kaplans chapters, doing the online workshops and quizes = assigning oxidatioin states, rate of reaction, and calculation molarity, normality, PH. I also have problems determining what some of the questions from the gen chem passages are actually asking me to do. as far as physics im in the whole about a few things (like when to use planks constant) but its pretty much memorizing the equations so im not as concerned. with Ochem its more like E1 and SN1 reactions I have aced markonikov and anti markonikov like no other and H+nmr Ir and C13 nmr Ive got down pat. pretty much all the bio I have also gained a great knowledge of so Ii am not 2 worried( i guess its bieng a bio major i have no friggin clue).

Thanks for any of your help, I apologize for writing a novel here lol

5. patvim

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i have a question ? iam taking mcats in jan , i have mcat books from kaplan and the flash cards. do u know what should i do about the practice exams ?

6. kypreos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ok just took another KAPLAN diagnostic and scored the highest ive ever scored. i ihavent used your method yet but im still taking practice exams, so im psyched and piumped but after liiterally 5 hours of study/exam, at thisi point iim roasted gonna hit up the gym and do some light reading 2nite.