Army Some new info on the new 4 training course for HPSP students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frugopl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been some talk about the 4 week training course for HPSP students that is being piloted at Fort Sill this summer. It has been announced that it will become a pre-requisite to BOLC some time soon. People were concerned that this may take up an ADT in 3rd/4th years or delay the start of residency. Well, here's what I got from the HPSP office: the new course is set to become a mandatory pre-requisite for BOLC starting next financial year, as in, starting Oct 1st, 2015. Students who have completed BOLC already -- or are scheduled to complete it this summer -- are expected to be grandfathered in and will not have to take the 4 week course. The key word here is "expected", as no policy is final until it is officially released, so that may change. The good news is that they are actively considering the situation of the HPSP students caught in the limbo between having completed BOLC and not having yet graduated from med school.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL. This is going to completely screw people. When civilian residencies start in July, the delay is going to be an absolute killer. People are going to have to extend past their commitments while declining their ASP.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. This is going to completely screw people. When civilian residencies start in July, the delay is going to be an absolute killer. People are going to have to extend past their commitments while declining their ASP.
Only applies to Army, and Army students rarely get civilian deferments anyways. In any event, though, this sounds like another (worse) BOLC 2 that some COL dreamed up because his OER was looking a little sparse, and he'd heard about how unprofessional those POGs at the hospital were, so he'd make sure they got an extra 4 weeks of training in how to be a warfighter. Probably also had something to do with the fact that most people don't have any use for their ADT between second and third year, leading to the false assumption that there must be some huge vacuum there in medical school where HPSP students could really use some extra training to be better officers. Extremely stupid, but glad it won't apply to me.

Also, I think the best part of this is the fact that the HPSP office answered literally none of the concerns raised in the question.

This is going to apply to me. Can anyone refer me to a website with more info on what the course is going to entail?

Only applies to Army, and Army students rarely get civilian deferments anyways. In any event, though, this sounds like another (worse) BOLC 2 that some COL dreamed up because his OER was looking a little sparse, and he'd heard about how unprofessional those POGs at the hospital were, so he'd make sure they got an extra 4 weeks of training in how to be a warfighter. Probably also had something to do with the fact that most people don't have any use for their ADT between second and third year, leading to the false assumption that there must be some huge vacuum there in medical school where HPSP students could really use some extra training to be better officers. Extremely stupid, but glad it won't apply to me.

Also, I think the best part of this is the fact that the HPSP office answered literally none of the concerns raised in the question.

For the folks who go GMO and get out (and there are some out there in the Army)...they will be screwed.

This is going to apply to me. Can anyone refer me to a website with more info on what the course is going to entail?

You're peering into the abyss, my friend. Madness lies that way. I've found it's better not to ask those questions because either the course is outstanding (which is almost never the case) or it's crap (which is usually the case), but either way you're going. Looking for reasons in military life will only make the yoke chafe.

If you're legitimately interested, out of pure curiosity, what the additional time - sucked from your life never to return - will entail, this is probalby the best explanation any website will give you: 4 weeks of learning how to become a "better soldier, better officer, and better leader."

There has been some talk about the 4 week training course for HPSP students that is being piloted at Fort Sill this summer. It has been announced that it will become a pre-requisite to BOLC some time soon. People were concerned that this may take up an ADT in 3rd/4th years or delay the start of residency. Well, here's what I got from the HPSP office: the new course is set to become a mandatory pre-requisite for BOLC starting next financial year, as in, starting Oct 1st, 2015. Students who have completed BOLC already -- or are scheduled to complete it this summer -- are expected to be grandfathered in and will not have to take the 4 week course. The key word here is "expected", as no policy is final until it is officially released, so that may change. The good news is that they are actively considering the situation of the HPSP students caught in the limbo between having completed BOLC and not having yet graduated from med school.

You are close to being right. But you either got some misinformation, or you mis heard and are now spreading misinformation.

1. The DCC will be mandatory and a prerequisite to BOLC - in FY 2017 meaning that this does not go into effect until October 2016
2. Anyone who is entered into the HPSP as of October 2016 is grandfathered

I think the best part of this is the fact that the HPSP office answered literally none of the concerns raised in the question.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ting-desired-residency.1119244/#post-16241895

You are close to being right. But you either got some misinformation, or you mis heard and are now spreading misinformation.

1. The DCC will be mandatory and a prerequisite to BOLC - in FY 2017 meaning that this does not go into effect until October 2016
2. Anyone who is entered into the HPSP as of October 2016 is grandfathered

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ting-desired-residency.1119244/#post-16241895
Still doesn't answer when this is supposed to get done. If it's between 2nd and 3rd years, most students are going to be forced to choose between Step 1 study time and 3rd-4th year vacation time (aka Step 2 study time, pre-intern year house hunting time, etc). Doesn't answer the question of what is supposed to be achieved in a 4 week course (which is going to be almost 1/4 inprocessing and outprocessing, knowing Army efficiency) that couldn't just as easily be achieved in BOLC. And honestly, if what's being taught is only going to take three weeks, why not integrate that information over the course of an internship/residency? Doesn't really answer what the content of the course is, either. I'd be shocked if it were much more than a record APFT, a rifle qual, a compass familiarization course, some mentoring on how to wear a uniform and military courtesies, and then powerpoints on SHARP and sexual harassment/assault, and a graduation ceremony.

You're peering into the abyss, my friend. Madness lies that way. I've found it's better not to ask those questions because either the course is outstanding (which is almost never the case) or it's crap (which is usually the case), but either way you're going. Looking for reasons in military life will only make the yoke chafe.

If you're legitimately interested, out of pure curiosity, what the additional time - sucked from your life never to return - will entail, this is probalby the best explanation any website will give you: 4 weeks of learning how to become a "better soldier, better officer, and better leader."

Good thing I love madness.

"better soldier, better officer, and better leader." - I guess the better doctor part's on me :)

Also seems like it might not affect me per @USArmyHPSP 's post

Good thing I love madness.

"better soldier, better officer, and better leader." - I guess the better doctor part's on me :)

Also seems like it might not affect me per @USArmyHPSP 's post

The better doctor part is entirely on you, and will be throughout your career. The Army won't pay for your CME, your license, and from what I'm hearing now your board exams. They don't care if you're a good physician, just that you're willing to take on the work.

Still doesn't answer when this is supposed to get done. If it's between 2nd and 3rd years, most students are going to be forced to choose between Step 1 study time and 3rd-4th year vacation time (aka Step 2 study time, pre-intern year house hunting time, etc). Doesn't answer the question of what is supposed to be achieved in a 4 week course (which is going to be almost 1/4 inprocessing and outprocessing, knowing Army efficiency) that couldn't just as easily be achieved in BOLC. And honestly, if what's being taught is only going to take three weeks, why not integrate that information over the course of an internship/residency? Doesn't really answer what the content of the course is, either. I'd be shocked if it were much more than a record APFT, a rifle qual, a compass familiarization course, some mentoring on how to wear a uniform and military courtesies, and then powerpoints on SHARP and sexual harassment/assault, and a graduation ceremony.

You're way off. The content is whatever sounds good on an OER. Think of your time as a sacrifice, if you will, on the altar of the star. Many young soldiers are sacrificed thusly every year, but yet only rarely does a star descend and elevate a senior officer to the point of not needing to give a $#!T about anything evermore... To become a general officer, you must construct a flamboyant cape from the graduation certificates of junior officers which you can then wave about to attract the attention of other general officers and, if you're lucky, congress. Coincidently, and fortunately, this distracts them from the actual outcome data of any class you might have instituted, because results are always less important than effort.

Trust me, I've spent some time studying Army behavioral patterns.

The fact is that, aside from a few things (such as the APFT, rifle range (super important as a physician), land navigation) almost anything that they teach in a week long military course could be condensed into an informational pamphlet and e-mailed with equal efficacy.

Reactions: 1 user
Why the **** do we need a prerequisite to BOLC? It's already 2 weeks of material crammed into 6 weeks...

Ok, here's a thought, and I'm only half kidding. BOLC = 6 weeks. New Army HPSP pre-BOLC Preparatory Academy = 4 weeks. 10 weeks total? Do you know what that sounds like? ("What does that sound like, Member 1337?") Well, I'll tell you...

That sounds like enough time for basic training, hoo'ah! What are the benefits of basic training? Regimented exercise and mealtimes (i.e., welcome to fat camp) where overworked physicians have time to turn off their brains and just focus on getting fit and trim. Gaining an appreciation of Soldier MOS's and how some of this stuff is actually challenging and not everyone can do it well (= increased respect for PFC Snuffy, 11B). Learning soldiering from the ground up and maybe feeling like you're part of a team. Learn how to wear a uniform and shave a beret.

I think I would rather do basic training than 10 weeks of AMEDD sponsored powerpoints, Band of Brothers critiques by chubby docs who wouldn't recognize good leadership if it jumped out and bit them, and weird simulacrums of outdated Army-ish tactics that aren't employed in the modern battlespace anymore.

10 weeks is crazy long, especially in med student years... wouldn't it just be better to send our docs to Airborne, Air Assault, *and* EFMB? You could knock *all* those schools out in 10 weeks *and* have time to do EFMB a second time when they faily you on "improperly performing chest compressions." Your battle buddies would square you away and teach you how to Army, and if they don't and you fail then you will return a more humble person who appreciates what Joe goes through to learn their trade. Seriously, sometimes I really do not understand how AMEDD thinks.

/endrant