Some newbie questions about dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clickart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I wanna go to dental school, should I major in biology or chemistry? Which one seems more interesting to them?

Members don't see this ad.

More imposrtantly, which one seems more interesting to you?

if you enjoy the subject you will do well in it, and ultimatley it's the GPA and DAT scores as well as volunteer/shadow/reserch/etc that make you stand out.

i majored with honors in german studies and neuroscience.

you don't have to have a "by the book" undergraduate experience, as long as you do well in your prerequisite courses, take some upper division, score high on your DAT and do all the appropriate extra curriculars. i studied abroad in germany for 6 months and wrote an undergraduate thesis about the translation and application of american hip hop in german culture. it had absolutely nothing to do with dentistry, but was one of the best experiences of my life.

and yes, i got into dental school. haha.

Hello,

Dental schools don't care what you major in as long as you have done well in the science requirements and DAT. I would pick the easiest major to maximize your GPA and only take the classes that are required plus do well in DAT. You do not need a BS in chemistry or biochemistry to do well on DAT. You only need some basic classes to prepare you for the DAT. I did all my dental school science requirements in one year while I was doing my Masters in aerospace engineering. DAT score and GPA are the most important criterias when the schools initially screen the applicants. DP