Some physics reading/references? Help please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good physics reference books? Especially for Electricity and Magnitism?

Members don't see this ad.

proline said:
What are some good physics reference books? Especially for Electricity and Magnitism?

I am in Physics II right now. We just started Magnetism and I can assure you that if you are having a hard time with physics that you are not alone. Physics is the worst class ever invested and I have the worst professor in the US. I want to explode.

One thing I discovered about physics is that I have to do homeowork to prep for the daily quizes that matches the quizes in format. My prof takes questions out of MCAT books and from some kind of test bank so I googled the questions and found other profs resources. That helps.

proline said:

My physics II class was over the summer and sucked big time. We didn't even go over lenses and mirrors. I bought this book called Nova......(don't remember exact title). I was able to learn everything I missed in physics II in this book. It also has questions to check your comprehension. It was great for the MCAT! I will sell it to ya for very cheap if ya would like since I don't need it anymore. PM me if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some unfathomable reason, physics testbooks suck at teaching physics. They are boring and don't explain well. I didn't really "get" it until I learned TPR Physics for the MCAT (using their Hyperlearning books). Also maybe find someone who understands it and can speak on your level? I find tutors who sound like the textbooks to be wholly useless.

Schaums Outline to College Physics

Straight and to the point!

proline said:

Yeah I'm suffering through Magnetism as well... Kicked butt on everything before now, then this annoying subject with its 27 different right hand rules, none of which give me the right direction. I'm about to start using my left hand, as I'd probably start getting things right that way.

If it's calc-based (or even alg-based if you ignore the math) maybe try Feynman's lectures. I haven't listened to /read them yet myself, but I've read a couple of his other books and his stories and analogies are so easy to follow to understand difficult concepts. My physics teacher actually uses several of Feynman's analogies and stories to teach us (as I found out after reading Feynman's books) and it made E&M in particular much easier to understand. E&M is probably the most difficult topic in alg-based because it is really a calculus-intensive subject. Taking the calculus out makes it really difficult to understand.