Some posts in this forum make me feel like I will never make it to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ki-100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every time I see some people post about the stat they have, I feel like I don't have a chance to med school at all. However, when I look at the aacom website, the average matriculant is around 3.45gpa and 503mcat. I wonder are those people who post their gpa4.00 and mcat518 and barely get accept it are trolling or real. To be honest, with that stat, I will apply to MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s called selection bias yo. People who are above average are more likely to post about their stats than average or below average applicants. Data doesn’t lie. If the mean matriculate average is 503/3.5 then the most applicants have those stats. In fact, the average applicant (not matriculant) has lower stats than that.

Reactions: 3 users
503 MCAT sound about right for most DO school. Keep in mind that California DO school has higher MCAT average (in 507 range), just because they are in California. If you are from California, unfortunately , you would need higher MCAT in general than other states (e.g. Mississispi or Alabama)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also keep in mind that those stat superstars that don’t get admitted usually have huge flaws elsewhere on their applications. You only guarantee you’ll never get to med school if you never apply.

Reactions: 5 users
Every time I see some people post about the stat they have, I feel like I don't have a chance to med school at all. However, when I look at the aacom website, the average matriculant is around 3.45gpa and 503mcat. I wonder are those people who post their gpa4.00 and mcat518 and barely get accept it are trolling or real. To be honest, with that stat, I will apply to MD.
If average matriculant has a 3.5/502 then by definition half are below that granted some may have 3.0/510 or 4.0/495 half are still under and what Dr B said is true those with better stats are more likely to post them

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe a conspiracy, I feel like those posts are purposely scare other borderline applicants to apply. Therefore they can have a higher chance to matriculate.

@Ki-100 It's a 3.53 GPA with a .24 to .37 standard deviation for matriculants in 2017. MCAT score is on point. Also, it doesn't matter. If your average is vastly different from the statistical average, then it comes down to what you think you need to do to improve your application before you submit it through AACOMAS. If SDN trolls are running around with a 5.0 GPA and a 600 MCAT it shouldn't matter because in all likelihood they aren't going to be the ones who take your spot when you apply to 1x+ schools.

Also, good thing to keep in mind that those matriculants that bring average GPA down for DO schools maybe the ones with higher than average MCAT, they are URM, incredible story, military service, or other circumstances.

If you are an average applicant, I guess it gets a little harder as well. I would guess, that these matriculants that have lower than average stats, have something else about them that made ADCOMs prefer them to other applicants with higher MCAT and GPA. We also hear stories here on SDN when applicants with 3.6-3.8 GPA and 510 MCAT get rejected either pre or post II.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't worry about what anyone else says. Make yourself shine to the ADCOMs and yoir interviewer.

You'll come to realize the people that have normal scores and everything don't bother posting on here. It's the stat superstars who mostly* just want the ego boost. Take 90% of what you see on here with a grain of salt. It's been super helpful to me, hence why I'm still on here, but it stressed me out the same as you when I was first on here

Reactions: 2 users
The median acceptee to MD schools has a 511 MCAT and 3.76 GPA.

For MD schools, a 503 MCAT score is circling the drain.

You have to keep in mind that SDN accuntuates neuroses and angst, and blows the requirements for med school way out of proportion. You don't need Harvard stats, and you don't need to be Mother Teresa or a Nobel Laureate, either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.0 cGPA 3.8 sGPA 508 MCAT with a strong upward trend, (in upper level science courses). Not to mention I had 3 F's on my transcript from freshman year. I thought for sure with that cumulative GPA I wouldn't get in....but I start in the fall!!! Just goes to show that GPA isn't the most important aspect of an application. If you have a weak GPA, study your butt off for the MCAT and excel there, get yourself involved in ECs. They want a well rounded applicant! Oh, and apply to schools that emphasize the fact they do a holistic review of their applicants. You will do great. Don't get discouraged :)

3.3, 3.3, 509 (due to CARS lol). Not URM. Significant downward trend. ****ty ECs. Still accepted.

SDN is not reality

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
The median acceptee to MD schools has a 511 MCAT and 3.76 GPA.

For MD schools, a 503 MCAT score is circling the drain.

You have to keep in mind that SDN accuntuates neuroses and angst, and blows the requirements for med school way out of proportion. You don't need Harvard stats, and you don't need to be Mother Teresa or a Nobel Laureate, either.

Is the mcat really a 511? Last cycle it was a 507 I believe.

Edit: Jusr looked again, up around 510-511 now. Disregard

DO - DO Chances: 3.31c, 3.28s, 501 MCAT

^ That was my "WAMC" thread.

I had some really great EC's but stats were pretty darn mediocre. I had 6 IIs. Accepted on the first II, before I even received a rejection. Don't let SDN numbers get you down.

I was told many years ago by prominent posters on SDN that I would never enter med school with the GPA I had. I never let it stop me, showed improvement, and here I am. Don't let anonymous internet people scare you from chasing your dreams.

If you don't play the basketball game, your chances of losing are 100%.

Please just use this site to acquire information and formulate your own ideas. In general, on the internet, there is a ton of selection bias, small sample size, false information, steering, and statements that will cause you to have limiting beliefs. If you succumb to any of these, then you are better off not using these sites. However, I do think there is a lot of valuable information and insights that can be acquired...but ultimately, only you are responsible for making your own adequate decisions with the information you have acquired.

If average matriculant has a 3.5/502 then by definition half are below that granted some may have 3.0/510 or 4.0/495 half are still under and what Dr B said is true those with better stats are more likely to post them

Not to be pedantic, but that’s actually the definition of the median. The median is the 50th %ile. The mean could be skewed to either side of the center. The median MCAT is 503, meaning half of matriculants had below that, with a full 30% having a sub-500 MCAT. I’m betting the median gpa is probably lower.

Reactions: 4 users
Not to be pedantic, but that’s actually the definition of the median. The median is the 50th %ile. The mean could be skewed to either side of the center. The median MCAT is 503, meaning half of matriculants had below that, with a full 30% having a sub-500 MCAT. I’m betting the median gpa is probably lower.
If you don’t mean to be pedantic then don’t be. Do you really think OP cares whether I said mean or median it’s the point that matters. But yes if it matters that much I made an error.

If you don’t mean to be pedantic then don’t be. Do you really think OP cares whether I said mean or median it’s the point that matters. But yes if it matters that much I made an error.

Um, yes. It matters. If you're going to cite statistics and use that to make an argument, you should know what you're talking about. The mean GPA being a 3.5 doesn't mean that half the matriculants were below that, which was your point. Mean versus median is an extremely basic statistics concept, and being able to understand basic stats is pretty important for applying EBM.

Um, yes. It matters. If you're going to cite statistics and use that to make an argument, you should know what you're talking about. The mean GPA being a 3.5 doesn't mean that half the matriculants were below that, which was your point. Mean versus median is an extremely basic statistics concept, and being able to understand basic stats is pretty important for applying EBM.
You must live for this forum to take something like this that seriously. My post to op wasn’t formal and this isn’t a math test ya I said I was wrong to have said mean I’m not giving a speech as a nobel prize winner for stats it was just a casual post and it slipped my mind. Get over it.

You must live for this forum to take something like this that seriously. My post to op wasn’t formal and this isn’t a math test ya I said I was wrong to have said mean I’m not giving a speech as a nobel prize winner for stats it was just a casual post and it slipped my mind. Get over it.

Not sure why you’re getting all heated, but you need to realize if you’re using something to support your argument (like statistics) and that support is shown to be wrong (e.g. confusing median with average), your argument becomes unsupported and risks being wrong. No need to get upset over a correction.

Nope. I live for my kids and family. I don’t really care what goes on in this forum. But if you’re going to use something to support your argument, you should use it correctly. It undercuts your position when you A) use terms incorrectly, B) misinterpret data based on an incorrect understanding of said terms, and then C) dig your heels in and refuse to budge when A and B are pointed out.

In the 2017 cycle, 32% of DO matriculants had an MCAT score of 500 or lower. 55% of DO matriculants had an overall GPA of 3.59 or lower.

You do not necessarily need a 518 MCAT and 4.0 GPA to get into medical school.

A noteworthy fraction of the SDN community consists of braggarts and neurotic try-hards. They do not represent the average medical school matriculant, so don't let their posts concern you. Best of luck!

Reactions: 7 users
3.3, 3.3, 509 (due to CARS lol). Not URM. Significant downward trend. ****ty ECs. Still accepted.

SDN is not reality

what do you mean by downward trend? like C's towards the end or like F's? what is considered ****ty ECs?

what do you mean by downward trend? like C's towards the end or like F's? what is considered ****ty ECs?

Went from 3.8 in Soph to never getting above 3.5 after. Lots of C's in junior and senior year. ****ty ECs, in my case, would be <80h volunteering, mediocre shadowing, etc.

Went from 3.8 in Soph to never getting above 3.5 after. Lots of C's in junior and senior year. ****ty ECs, in my case, would be <80h volunteering, mediocre shadowing, etc.

gives me some hope. ugh

Obsession.

To make it as a doctor (MD or DO), the goal has to be an obsession.

There has to be no other choice - you won’t be drawn away by other “low hanging fruit.”

Obsession - you will find a way. Post Bach, research position, appy and re-apply and re-appy.

It must be an obsession - damn the torpedos. There are bona fide geniuses in any area of life - and then there are hard working ferociously obsessed individuals who compete based on their tenacity.

Don’t get discouraged by the geniuses.

Is becoming a physician an obsession to you?

If so, you will make it happen some how, some way.

Stay the course!!!

Hey it seemed like many were getting off track and not answering your post after a couple replies. I just wanted to chime in and remind you, like a few others did, that this site often shows extremes and odd situations. There is a lot of good advice too but you can't let it all get you overly worked up. Take the advice that applies to you but take all of it with a grain of salt as well. There are relatively few situations in which you will never be accepted to either an MD or DO school. Keep on working and, if necessary, take a break from this site for a while.