Some pre-med questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to SDN and I have a few questions. I have just completed my sophomore year of college and have not yet taken any of the pre-med reqs. I plan to take g-chem next year, physics next summer, and o-chem my senior year. This means that I'll have to take MCAT towards the end of my senior year.

Is there a chance I can enroll into med school the year I graduate or will I definitely have to take a year off?

If I take a pre-med req at another school, will that grade count into my sci GPA? (In my school, only p/f transfers, not the actual grade.)

I have a high school AP Bio Credit that's been transferred. Do most schools accept this? If not, I'll have to take bio in my senior year as well.

I'm pretty clueless about this whole process, thanks for any input! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hello App.,

Lots of questions you have. Try searching some of the topics and read the threads. Hope this helps a little.

ANY class you take will count toward your GPA, unless the class itself is pass/fail. As far as I know, none of the "pre-med" courses are such. You will send a transcript from every school you have attended, regardless of the class or grade.

It is impossible to take the MCAT in April and begin medical school in August. The app. process will take a full year (or close to it). If all goes as planned, its like this: MCAT, application, interviews, wait... :rolleyes: wait... :rolleyes: wait... :rolleyes: wait for acceptance. Then you start. :clap: :clap: :clap:

For this reason, most traditional students complete the requirements for the MCAT their junior year.

Good luck, study hard! :wink:

Welcome to SDN :D I'll try to answer you questions.

Hi, I am new to SDN and I have a few questions. I have just completed my sophomore year of college and have not yet taken any of the pre-med reqs. I plan to take g-chem next year, physics next summer, and o-chem my senior year. This means that I'll have to take MCAT towards the end of my senior year.

Is there a chance I can enroll into med school the year I graduate or will I definitely have to take a year off?

You'll have to take the year off...the process is loooooong.

If I take a pre-med req at another school, will that grade count into my sci GPA? (In my school, only p/f transfers, not the actual grade.)

Although the grade will not count in your school's gpa, it WILL count on the amcas gpa. Med schools don't usually like people taking a lot of the premed req.s away from their school, so only do that if you have to.

I have a high school AP Bio Credit that's been transferred. Do most schools accept this? If not, I'll have to take bio in my senior year as well.
I think that if your school accepted it as a credit, med schools will too. Usually whatever is on your transcript is used by med schools.

You should also try to talk to a premed advisor about how to take the pre-req.s at your school.

Best of luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone else said the latest you can take the MCAT is August the year before you are applying for. If you could take physics and general chemistry next year and organic during the summer you could then take the MCAT in August, but I don't know if that is possible for you and it would be a lot of work. Also I was under the impression that AP didn't count for pre-reqs but I don't know where I heard that. Anyway you will definatly want to review biology before taking the MCAT if you haven't studied it since high school.

Guess I'll have to take a year off, which I don't mind at all. Thanks guys! :cool:

Most schools have pre-med advisors who will be able to answer most if not all of these questions for you. Sometimes these advisors are a valuable resource, and sometimes they are not. In your case, it would be a good idea to at least meet with your school's advisor(s).