Some pre-optometry questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the whole process of applying to optometry school so I have a few questions. How many optometry schools are there? What does the OAT consist of, is it as hard as the MCAT, when can you take it, and how is it scored? What is the average gpa and OAT score for accepted applicants? What is the average salary of a typical optometrist? What kind of extracurricular activities look good on the optometry school application? Can optometrists work for HMO's like medical doctors can? Is there a central system for organizing applications such as the AMCAS for MD schools?
Any help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry has a nice section for prospective students: http://www.opted.org/info_main.cfm . They have a FAQ, a nice document with an overview of the career of optometry, and side-by-side comparisons of the pre-reqs and class profiles for the 17 U.S. colleges.

PLEASE NOTE SHARKY:
Some of the prereq requirements are inaccurate (.e.g. NEWENCO).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Sharky,

Did you decide not to apply to med school? Just curious. :)

There is no central application processing system like AMCAS for med school (unfortunately!) -- you need to check the website for each school for individual application instructions. The pre-reqs for each vary somewhat, so as Eyegirl said, you should definitely check each website for information if you're serious about applying (they're generally the usual pre-med classes, but some schools want statistics or anatomy or whatever). Most schools are on a rolling admissions schedule that begins in September.

There is more information about the OAT here: http://www.opted.org/info_oat.cfm . The OAT is offered twice a year, October and February.

There are a variety of settings in which optometrists can practice -- HMOs are one. If you are considering optometry as a backup to your med school applications, you might want to talk to a few practicing optometrists to get an idea if the profession is for you.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Sharky
Hi Centrum,
Actually I'm still going to apply to medical school but would like to keep my options open. Optometry has always interested me and so would just like to get to know about the application process.

Fair enough. Good luck!