Some questions about out of state medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whitej197

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I just had a few quick questions about applying to out of state medical schools, and if you could help me out it would be much appreciated!

First of all, do you have to pay out of state tuition all four years of medical school, or are you considered a resident after your first year and begin paying in state tuition? This might seem like a dumb question but I honestly couldn't find any concrete answers online.

Secondly, is it really worth it to go to a really expensive medical school that's highly ranked, assuming you do get in? Again this might sound like a dumb question, but I've began to wonder. I could save well over a hundred thousand, if not more, in student debt by attending a public medical school over a private one. Is the prestige really worth the huge hike in costs?

I apologize if these questions have been asked before. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I just had a few quick questions about applying to out of state medical schools, and if you could help me out it would be much appreciated!

First of all, do you have to pay out of state tuition all four years of medical school, or are you considered a resident after your first year and begin paying in state tuition? This might seem like a dumb question but I honestly couldn't find any concrete answers online.

Secondly, is it really worth it to go to a really expensive medical school that's highly ranked, assuming you do get in? Again this might sound like a dumb question, but I've began to wonder. I could save well over a hundred thousand, if not more, in student debt by attending a public medical school over a private one. Is the prestige really worth the huge hike in costs?

For the first question: this will vary from state to state. Some states/schools will require you to pay OOS tuition for the entire 4 years. Others will switch you over to the in-state rate after the first year. YMMV, so check directly with the schools.

For the second question: it's ultimately up to you to decide. One person will tell you that prestige is better, others will tell you that saving money is better.

1) depends on the school
2) depends on a lot of factors. Wait until you have multiple acceptances until you consider this.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) It depends on the state. I know that for Texas public schools, you get in-state tuition if they give you a $1000 merit scholarship and all of the OOS students got one.

2) I asked my student host at a highly ranked school and he said the main benefit is the research there because the research opportunities are really good. I don't know enough about residencies to know what kind of a boost that gives.

Last edited: