PhD Some questions as I'm thinking of pursuing PhD ine pidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryinnaaskquestions

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I currently work as a full time clinical dietitian, but have lately been thinking about going back to grad school to pursue a phD. I completed my MS with my dietetic internship and thoroughly enjoyed the research process. I'm posting this in this subreddit due to a growing interest of mine to pursue a career in epidemiology after getting exposure to public health through previous courses, volunteer experience and work in the hospital.

With that said, I do have some questions I couldn't really find good answers to online.

1. What are some general qualifications for admissions? I have looked at a few programs that have specific courses, however most program websites don't go into detail the detailed course routine most admissions would need to consider. I have a background in math, and have taken college level calculus, stats and physics classes, but despite excelling in them it has been a while since those classes (7 years the most), so I am quite rusty right now. As far as research goes, it is spread across several different fields. I had 2 summers worth of research with brain cancer in a clinical research lab. In 2015 after switching more towards nutrition, I also volunteered and got a job researching macronutrients and metabolism in a metabolic kitchen.

2. Upon completion of the PhD program, are there jobs outside of academia available if I wanted to do research?

3. Are there jobs in research at the government level? It would be good knowing there is backup in case a career in academia doesn't pan out.

4. And how good is the job market for these fields outside of academia?

5. I briefly ran across several online job websites such as indeed, glassdoor mostly involving designing and implementing research at the population level. These jobs require a PhD, but also prefers 5-8 years of experience. Where would a new grad obtain this experience?
Anyways, quite long of a post, so thanks to all that have taken the time to read through it!

Members don't see this ad.