Some Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted316655

Hey everyone. I have a couple of questions about some things I was thinking about. I am interested in a BS/MD program so the questions mainly revolve around that. If I get in to such a program, would it be possible to apply to any MD/PhD programs, or would I have to get a PhD a different way? Also, if I get into a BS/MD program would it be possible to double major? I was thinking that it would be especially difficult to do this if it was a six-year program, but as I am mainly looking at seven-year programs, would it be doable? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you could find a BS/MD/PhD program...

Why not just go to a college you like, double major in whatever you like, then apply for MD/PhD program? Are you hell bent on ending your young fun life now rather than 4 years down the road?

Man, when I was a senior in high school I was saving up from my job as a host at a mexican food place so I could buy a stereo for my dorm in college. Then my freshman year of college I did nothing but order pizza and play video games and do rec sports and go to football games.

But if you really want to, go forth and conquer..

Based on your questions, I wouldn't bother with the BS/MD programs. You might be able to apply to the MD institution's Ph.D. program upon matriculation, but I'm not sure if that's possible. If you're competitive with a BS/MD program, assuming you don't fall off the face of the earth you'll likely be competitive when you apply to med school. Given what's important to you, I don't see the point in applying BS/MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I doubt that either, even though it would be pretty interesting if there was such a thing. And for some odd reason I really want to get into a seven-year program. I've always been one to be more serious and mature. I also learned a lot from my siblings so I know what to do right that they did wrong. In college I wouldn't be doing anything that fun anyway. I might as well start life now instead of postponing the inevitable.

This will sink you in your interviews, no matter how good your numbers are. There's something to be said for experiences outside of school and work.

Best of luck to you.

Yea, I doubt that either, even though it would be pretty interesting if there was such a thing. And for some odd reason I really want to get into a seven-year program. I've always been one to be more serious and mature. I also learned a lot from my siblings so I know what to do right that they did wrong. In college I wouldn't be doing anything that fun anyway. I might as well start life now instead of postponing the inevitable.

There is definitely a limit to things you can learn through observation.

1) it is possible to take your MD admission and then apply for admission to the MSTP (Medical science training program MD/PhD) at the school that has already admitted you to medical school. In all likelihood, you could do this without putting your MD ticket in jeopardy... however, if you wanted to apply to other MD/PhD programs you might be asked to give up your automatic acceptance into your school's MD program.

2) If you are truncating your undergrad experience in a 6 or 7 year program you may have all you can do to finish the pre-med requirements and the requirements for your major. A double major might not be possible.

3) A double major may be too much if you are going to do some substantial research as well which you need to do if you want to get into a MD/PhD program.

4) do not go into school with the attitude that it is not going to be fun. If it isn't fun, you are doing it wrong. Find something fun and do it often. Every healthy physician I know has some outside interest whether it is tennis, running, watercolors,gardening, patron of the arts, carpentry, Ironman competition, writing poetry, etc.

I echo everyone else in saying you need to develop or maintain hobbies before you get to med school and beyond.

I heard someone describe it once as "you need some things to take with you to the other side" because once you make it, there's no turning back. Not meant to sound ominous, but it's much easier to maintain a fun hobby than create a new one when you're in med school, and it's an interviewer's dream to talk about concert piano, pub trivia, or stand up comedy rather than how focused you are on studying.

Hey everyone. I have a couple of questions about some things I was thinking about. I am interested in a BS/MD program so the questions mainly revolve around that. If I get in to such a program, would it be possible to apply to any MD/PhD programs, or would I have to get a PhD a different way? Also, if I get into a BS/MD program would it be possible to double major? I was thinking that it would be especially difficult to do this if it was a six-year program, but as I am mainly looking at seven-year programs, would it be doable? Thanks in advance!
1. I didn't know BS/MD program that was 6-years long was possible? Every 6-year program has the student NOT complete his undergrad. So if you don't even complete one major, how can you complete two.

2. If it's a under/MD program that doesn't require you to take the MCAT, than you can't get into a PhD program (or maybe you can if you take the GRE). If you have to or decide to take the MCAT, you should be able to apply to the MD/PhD program. This is TRUE for CWRU's under/MD program. If you get into the PPSP program, you don't have to take the MCAT... if you do, I think you need to get a 33+... BUT you have to fill out the AMCAS just like everyone else and you can say you are interested in the MD/PhD program. They only gurantee you an acceptance for the regular MD program though... but I am sure you can be considered.

Wow, you sound like a dull person. You do anything else outside of studying? Talking with you must be like talking to a goat.

Actually, I'm pretty interesting to talk to. I do have a lot of hobbies, and I do have a social life. I really don't study that much either. I don't know. I understand that you have to have fun in life, and I do have fun, but I want to pursue a lot of things in my life, and I believe that it is possible to become well-versed in numerous things even at a young age and still enjoy life and all that it has to offer.

That's the perspective you have now. Many of us did at your age. you will seriously regret rushing through everything. Even if you do achieve your many ambitious goals in such a short time, what are you gonna do with all that extra time? Work?

You CAN and WILL have all the success you want, even if you take your time. You're talking about shaving off what, 3 years? you may see 3 years as a lot of time, and while it is not insiginificant, it is actually a lot quicker than you think. And on that note, rushing your education will make that time insignificant. Just because you have your degrees does not mean you know how best to use them. The time that it takes to learn and understand a practice or the material is crucial to maturing through any profession. On top of that, I have seen plenty of genius level people excell to a point, but many cannot start a conversation with anyone. And in the end burn a lot of bridges, lose funding and other opportunities because of their dry personalities or unawareness to their social faux paus. Not saying that you're like that or that you will become that if you take the route you're talking about, but there is something to being able to talk about your opportunities to study abroad or just chill with your buddies on Friday nights because you weren't studying your butt off every day. You don't want to be the guy that always talks about academics.

Give the guy a break. If he wants to get into a 6/7 year program, let him. I know a few people who started medical school after only 3 years of undergrad. they loved it -- they party hard during undergrad and continue to enjoy life even studying their butt of during medical school. There is nothing wrong with only 2 or 3 years of undergrad.

Give the guy a break. If he wants to get into a 6/7 year program, let him. I know a few people who started medical school after only 3 years of undergrad. they loved it -- they party hard during undergrad and continue to enjoy life even studying their butt of during medical school. There is nothing wrong with only 2 or 3 years of undergrad.

The desire to do a 6/7 year program isn't what's getting him criticized, it's statements such as these

lanashif said:

The desire to do a 6/7 year program isn't what's getting him criticized, it's statements such as these
Ah, I guess I don't read every post.

yea, enjoy college! I know plenty of people who didn't (aka finish studying for an exam 2 days before it, staying in room alot, playing video games, studying, no life). Don't be one of those people. You need alot of people interaction to be a good doctor AND you don't want to regret your 2/3 years at college. I'm sure you are more fun than that post implied... but just word of warning.