TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
You're worrying too much. Your performance should increase over time. A first semester freshman with a 3.6 is in good shape to get a stellar GPA. If you do end up with a 3.6 in the end, worry about it then.

Do extracurriculars outside of health. However, don't forget to do at least 100 clinical hours and 50 shadowing hours.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
The activities you've mentioned sound terrific, but don't get so over-involved in ECs that you compromise your first priority, which is to get a high GPA. Freshman year is for figuring out how to change your study practices to accomodate the higher expectations and faster learning pace.

You might also consider a research experience eventually.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
I know I've fallen a bit behind with the GPA so I'm hoping to make it up with some research work over the summer.
Doing research for course credit at your home institution (since one usually gets an A) would help you boost your GPA and would also leave the door open to continuing with the same lab if it turns out to be a good experience. And you do have "experience" since you've taken classes with a laboratory component.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
So this might sound like a stupid question and its probably been asked but, how exactly should I go about asking a professor to do research? Most of my classes are large lectures right now so I'm not sure how to approach them.
"Hi, I was wondering if you're active in research or know someone that is? I'm interested in participating in some but don't know where to start."

Yes, that's about it. If they have an opening, they will question you further to see if you're right for them, they might send you to someone else, or they will say "sorry, I don't know anyone that needs someone right now."

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
I'm still wondering whether or not I should also go through with trying to be an EMT. That's something I really want to do but if it won't help me at all then I don't see the point in spending a summer taking those classes.
Taking the classes and becoming certified will not be helpful unless you utilize it to get a job or volunteer position that uses the training. If you should use it, the clinical experience gained would be very helpful to your application.

OP
A

An0nmity

7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for responding to all my questions.

Last edited:

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Taking 16 credit hours didn't work out so well. Taking a minimal course load won't impress anyone that you can carry a heavy academic load, but getting Bs with a heavy academic load would put you in an even worse position. Make the choice that protects your GPA, while you get the hang of what you need to in order to study more effectively.