Some quick question for rad's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmaple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Did you have a physics background as an undergrad or grad student (beyond the basics)? Is it necessary?

2. How soon after starting med school did you start trying to do some rad research?

Thanks for any help!! I'm way premature on this (in the process of applying to med schools now), but it's my preferred field and I was just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey usmaple,

I have no physics background except 1 course in undergrad and neither do the majority of radiology residents. All the physics you need is clinically oriented and will be taught. The physics boards, from what I hear, is actually the least challenging of the three boards radiology residents are required to take (physics, written, oral).

As for research, its not a requirement for residency, but it helps. I did research between 1st and 2nd years of medical school on functional MRIs (I was thinking of neurology or radiology at that time). Its usually harder to do it during third year and too late in fourth year.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was hoping to hear re: physics.

One more quick one, if you don't mind. A lot of people mention that it's good to have pubs for getting a competitive residency like rads. I have a few years of neuroimaging research experience (fMRI) and should have about 3-4 pubs out (2 accepted and "in press", others in various stages of completion which may or may not get anywhere, no first author but mostly second author). Will these matter, or are they really looking for pubs from research done in med school?

Thanks again for the help.