Some reassurance would be nice, some strategies would be better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoneMental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took my Kaplan diagnostic and got a 24. (Is that...bad?)
PS: 9
BS: 8
VR: 7

I'm not too worried about PS and BS. I did poorly on PS only because I haven't taken gen chem in two years and I'm currently in physics.

I did poorly on BS cause I need to review Ochem.

However, I am very worried about my verbal. It's the only thing I cannot simply "study" to understand.

Will the Kaplan course I am in help my verbal score? And how high is the verbal curve on the MCATs? What are some good resources to use (EK, PR, crying myself to sleep, etc...?) I'm currently a second semester junior signed up to take the MCAT in May....

I'd really appreciate the input from everyone. I know there's a lot of wise people here, so I thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Took my Kaplan diagnostic and got a 24. (Is that...bad?)
PS: 9
BS: 8
VR: 7

I'm not too worried about PS and BS. I did poorly on PS only because I haven't taken gen chem in two years and I'm currently in physics.

I did poorly on BS cause I need to review Ochem.

However, I am very worried about my verbal. It's the only thing I cannot simply "study" to understand.

Will the Kaplan course I am in help my verbal score? And how high is the verbal curve on the MCATs? What are some good resources to use (EK, PR, crying myself to sleep, etc...?) I'm currently a second semester junior signed up to take the MCAT in May....

I'd really appreciate the input from everyone. I know there's a lot of wise people here, so I thank you in advance.

Nuff' said.

It depends how good a reader you are for VR, unfortunately. I scored a 10 on my diagnostic VR and scored an 11 after the Kaplan course on the real thing. I actually did a verbal section every other day (which Kaplan gives you ALOT) for the last month and still did not see my scores going much higher.

I was basically concerned only about verbal.

Regardless of what is being said, I KNOW my verbal scores will include. I have to keep practicing.

However, I just am unfamiliar as to whether or not I had a "good" diagnostic or not. I am also unsure of the curve applied to the verbal section in the MCAT (how many wrong = 1 point off?). I am also unaware as to what the best study materials are for verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was basically concerned only about verbal.

Regardless of what is being said, I KNOW my verbal scores will include. I have to keep practicing.

However, I just am unfamiliar as to whether or not I had a "good" diagnostic or not. I am also unsure of the curve applied to the verbal section in the MCAT (how many wrong = 1 point off?). I am also unaware as to what the best study materials are for verbal.

A rough estimate: 75% raw score and you'll be 10+.