some weird questions about recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jubei0766

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking about getting a science recommendation from my professor in the past who knew me very well(he wrote me a recommendation for my grad school, but I serously doubt if it was stellar), but here is the problem: I got a C in his class.

Also, I am thinking about getting an another science letter from this professor(coincidentally, I have been doing research in his lab for about a couple of months now), but here is the problem: his science class is only 1 unit/(credit hour) per semester. What should I do?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

i think that what matters most in choosing your recommenders is how well they know you and how positive and personalized a letter they can write for you. the grade you receive and the credit hours matter less. sure, it would be better if you received an A in the course, but if the professor knows you well and is even willing to put a positive spin on the grade, then you're fine. you'll be much worse off getting a weak letter from someone whose course you aced than you would be with a strong letter from someone whose class you struggled in.

so based on the two possible recommenders you listed, i would go with the professor whose lab you work in, ASSUMING that he/she will write you a GREAT letter. don't be shy about asking upfront if they feel they can write a strong letter--if they waver in their response the slightest bit, ask someone else! then again, you could ask the prof who already wrote you a letter if he'd be willing to write a med school rec letter--and then ask him if he felt he could write a strong one. then you might be able to assess how good the letter might be. the bottom line is that the strength of the letter matters more than the professional status of the recommender, the grade you receive in the class, etc, etc. hope this helps...

I wanted to ask letters from both,not just one...
but thank you so much for your advice. It helps alot! :)

whooops, that thumbs down was an accident!

:D