Somebody, anybody... tell me about the DAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organichemistry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year undergrad considering the jump from pre-medicine to pre-dentistry. i've been in pre-med for a while now and have even taken a couple practice MCATs. Obviously I know what is expected of me to get into medical school.

I'm a little in the dark about Dental school. I've got a lot of questions, and a lot about the DAT!

First, I have heard the test covers general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, reading comprehension, and perceptual ability. I've also heard, however, that not all dental schools require 2 semesters of organic chemistry to be accepted. Is this true? Is it even feasible to do well on the DAT without it? I know physics isn't covered on the test, but it is required to get into most dental schools, right?

How is the DAT scored? I need details... what's a perfect score? what's a competitive score? How are the subtests scored? Are there any combinations of scores or a particular subscore that dental schools really look at?

It's my understanding that the DAT is computer administered. Can anyone give me some details on this?

Most medical schools factor in your overall GPA as well as your "BCPM" GPA (biology, chemistry, physics, and math).

Is the same true for dental schools? If it is true, do they look at ALL such biology/chemistry/physics/math classes taken... or just the "prereqs" like General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, General Biology, and General Physics.

The reason I ask is because I am a science major and will be getting into some pretty difficult courses here over the next few semesters. My GPA for just the dent school prereqs is probably going to be in the neighborhood of a 3.7 or 3.75, but if they factor all my upper level science courses into that figure, it could drop to 3.5 or 3.6. Still pretty good, but not outstanding.

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

It's called a search button. Your questions are all answered more than enough on SDN. Search through each of your question and you will get much better answers than someone trying to answer your questions with simple unclear answers.

Why make the switch from Pre-Med to Pre-Dent?

Members don't see this ad :)
mvs04 said:
Why make the switch from Pre-Med to Pre-Dent?

i get the vibe that dentists have less stress on them than medical doctors. i like the idea of being a 26 year old dentist making a good living and paying back my student debt rather than being a 29 year old overworked, underpaid resident. i don't like the idea of being on call all the time --- office hours, even if they are long, are appealing to me. the thought of not being able to "be there" for my wife and children is a scary one for me -- i don't want to be at my son's birthday party and be called into the hospital.

organichemistry said:
First, I have heard the test covers general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, reading comprehension, and perceptual ability. I've also heard, however, that not all dental schools require 2 semesters of organic chemistry to be accepted. Is this true? Is it even feasible to do well on the DAT without it? I know physics isn't covered on the test, but it is required to get into most dental schools, right?

I'm almost positive most all schools require two semester of organic chemistry but many differ on physics. Some require it, others do not.

How is the DAT scored? I need details... what's a perfect score? what's a competitive score? How are the subtests scored? Are there any combinations of scores or a particular subscore that dental schools really look at?

There are 4 main sections: Natural Sciences (Biology/Gen Chem/Organic Chem), Perceptual Ability, Reading Comprehension, Quantitative Reasoning. Perfect is a 30 on each section. The ADA website says the national average is 17, but most like a 20 to be competitive.

It's my understanding that the DAT is computer administered. Can anyone give me some details on this?

Yes, it's given on a computer and you aren't allowed to have anything with you except a pencil and paper. You have 4:15 to take the test

Most medical schools factor in your overall GPA as well as your "BCPM" GPA (biology, chemistry, physics, and math).

Is the same true for dental schools? If it is true, do they look at ALL such biology/chemistry/physics/math classes taken... or just the "prereqs" like General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, General Biology, and General Physics.

They calculate your GPA and you Science GPA, which is what you're talking about. All Science/Math courses you've taken regardless of the level they're at.

I don't mean to be an a-hole but "some pretty difficult courses" do not get you any pity if that's what you are trying. We've all taken Upper-Level Science courses and if you are a real sh't, you ace those mofo's just as you would with the pre-req's. Don't even think about trying to hide behind that sh't.

Go to a f'cking Barnes & Noble and open up a Kaplan DAT book. That's what I did to get all my info. Or go thru "DAT" on SDN.

Has anyone told you to look up your question in your textbooks when you asked a question in class? Try to learn everything by yourself and if you get stuck on something even after all that, then you are welcome to ask questions that are worthwhile answering.

Like I said before on this forum, dentistry isn't for everyone. If you are making a switch to dentistry just because you don't have a sack to ante up and face the medical schools whether it would be a rejection or unexpected acceptance, I gurantee you WILL NOT like dentistry.

organichemistry said:
have even taken a couple practice MCATs. Obviously I know what is expected of me to get into medical school.
BTW, that alone shows a lot about your character.

Does anyone know a good anger management class?

I'm sorry about my rudeness.

I hope you don't overlook my main point though.

whoa pikey... my statement about the mcat and my statement about knowing what it takes to get into medical school were pretty much unrelated.

what i was saying is that i am familiar with what i need to do in terms of MCAT scores, GPA, letters of rec., prereq classes, shadowing experience, personal statement, and so on for medical school.

i'm not scared of medical school or hard classes... i just don't think being a medical doctor is the right path for me any more. i think dentistry (or perhaps pharmacy, optometry, or even physical therapy) would be a better fit.

i posted because i am flat out uninformed when it comes to the DAT and dental school application process. cut me a little slack.

and i would go to barnes and noble or my university bookstore to pick up a book about dental schools if i could, but i can't. i don't turn 16 (and subsequently get a driver's license) until next week.

Ask your mom to drive you.

If I were you, i'd go to a local bookstore and look up some DAT books - kaplan, barron's, etc... they'll clarify all questions you might have. as for organic chemistry, i believe you do have to take them. for more info, go visit: http://www.adea.org/links/default.htm which has a list of all dental schools in the U.S. good luck.

i think your question is totally valid for this forum, and since I have a huge love for organic chemistry, I like you already because of your name. I decided pretty late (end of my junior year in college) to go into dentistry after being premed for a year. All of the schools that I applied to required 2 semesters of ochem, and I found that studying hard for those courses paid off bigtime on the DAT. Physics was required at some of the schools, I think your best bet is to take two semesters of that also to be on the safe side. The DAT is on the computer, they give you some blank paper for notes while you go through it, and there are a couple of breaks along the way in between sections. You get your scores right after you take it, which kinda scared the ish outa me... I think the whole test took about four hours or a little more, but I took it a long time ago so im not quite positive on that one. Your grades are solid and the dental schools will look mostly at your prereqs from my understanding, still work hard for your upper div's but dont stress too much. That's about the same GPA I had for my prereqs, and if you perform well on the DAT (I recommend taking the Kaplan course, it helped me a lot) you'll get into your first choice. You sound like you've got your **** together, and you are still young... I didn't know what you know now until I was a senior and still got into the schools I wanted. Hope that helps a bit.

organichemistry said:
i'm not scared of medical school or hard classes... i just don't think being a medical doctor is the right path for me any more. i think dentistry (or perhaps pharmacy, optometry, or even physical therapy) would be a better fit.

what are you basing that on? Why healthcare profession in the first place?

if it's just for the "Dr" title or simply because some kind of healthcare professional school seems like the accomplished or prestigious thing to do or you want to have job security/money... I hope you fail, miserably. Nothing personal.
: )

Nonetheless, in response to your questions, which can be answered through lookign through the forum threads or simple google searches, but since you're lazy...

"competitive GPA and DAT scores" are generally 3.4 sci and 20s on DAT, in that neighborhood anyways. There are people with higher stats who don't get into any schools, there are people with way lower (I had a 2.6 science GPA) that do get in. Varies a lot person to person. The Kaplan book for the DAT explains a lot, it's like $30. Also if you go google DAT you should find enough information on it.

Most schools will require O chem. SO you might as well as take it considering how it probably will be a pre-requisite for most of yoru upper div science classes. As for not taking the class and then taking the DAT, it's certainlly doable if you try to learn the stuff on your own, but pretty hard. I didn't take any G Chem and it was my lowest DAT score (18).

Dental schools have requirements for UG classes you need to take. Look them up, they vary slightly but generally are the same. Some schools view these as "hard" requirements, that is if you haven't met them it's a no go. Some schools are flexible, as long as your in the neighborhood, you're good.

mvs04 said:
what are you basing that on? Why healthcare profession in the first place?

because i have a passion for helping people; the only other profession i would consider is teaching... and (now i know this is greedy) but i want more money than that.

i'm not a greedy guy, but i would like to live a comfortable life and love my job -- and i think something in the healthcare field would be perfect for me... with dentistry... or a dentistry specialty leading the way!

in any event, i appreciate the information you guys are providing me.

organichemistry said:
i get the vibe that dentists have less stress on them than medical doctors. i like the idea of being a 26 year old dentist making a good living and paying back my student debt rather than being a 29 year old overworked, underpaid resident. i don't like the idea of being on call all the time --- office hours, even if they are long, are appealing to me. the thought of not being able to "be there" for my wife and children is a scary one for me -- i don't want to be at my son's birthday party and be called into the hospital.

you think a dentist has less stress? my parents are dentists and they are miserable.

you try seeing 30+ patients a day and holding your hands up in the air for several hours working in a small dark space.

dentistry is a very blue collar job.

your statements are without thought.

GENERAL TSO said:
you think a dentist has less stress? my parents are dentists and they are miserable.

you try seeing 30+ patients a day and holding your hands up in the air for several hours working in a small dark space.

dentistry is a very blue collar job.

your statements are without thought.
Amen and Amen! Dentistry is high stress. Sure, you don't have anybody's heart beating in you hands but you work in a small dark space, you're hunched over, and you are manipulating very small things that can be difficult to see. Other than the lifestyle it provides, you have to admit that dentistry kind of sucks.

organichemistry said:
because i have a passion for helping people; the only other profession i would consider is teaching... and (now i know this is greedy) but i want more money than that.

i'm not a greedy guy, but i would like to live a comfortable life and love my job -- and i think something in the healthcare field would be perfect for me... with dentistry... or a dentistry specialty leading the way!

in any event, i appreciate the information you guys are providing me.
Why not go into teaching and then administration? Educational Administrators are among the highest paid professions around. I have a family member that works in a district office, works about ~210 days a year and makes about 125k.

Kiluminati said:
Amen and Amen! Dentistry is high stress. Sure, you don't have anybody's heart beating in you hands but you work in a small dark space, you're hunched over, and you are manipulating very small things that can be difficult to see. Other than the lifestyle it provides, you have to admit that dentistry kind of sucks.

yeah when i said it isn't high stress i was overgeneralizing the matter. what i mean is that life and death situations aren't an every day occurence in dentistry. i'll see patients and make a decision of what to do. it isn't like emergency medicine and surgery where life and death situations are made that are very time sensitive.

organichemistry said:
yeah when i said it isn't high stress i was overgeneralizing the matter. what i mean is that life and death situations aren't an every day occurence in dentistry. i'll see patients and make a decision of what to do. it isn't like emergency medicine and surgery where life and death situations are made that are very time sensitive.
True dat, homie.

To the OP: If you have questions about the DAT probably the best place to start would be to pick up a copy of Kaplan's blue DAT review book. It goes over each section on the DAT and the order the information is presented is the order in which it is on the real DAT (e.g. biology is the first section, etc.). It includes a full length sample DAT that you can look over. Best of luck!