somebody help me! university of alabama at birmingham VS charlotte rehab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whorubigman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to pick one over the other as there's only one date when they can offer me an interview. This really sucks, but I have to pick one.
Which is a better program overall????

Thank you in advance,

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

whorubigman said:
I have to pick one over the other as there's only one date when they can offer me an interview. This really sucks, but I have to pick one.
Which is a better program overall????

Thank you in advance,

:confused:

When is the date?

I can only speak for CIR. I spent a month there and it really is a great place. I posted some of my experiences in the Stories from the interview trail last year. I think reputation wise, CIR has a better rep. I was told by a leader in the field that this was the only program in the southeast I should interview at. I'm from the southeast and interviewed at more, but I do think CIR is the premier program in the SE. The only reason I didn't rank them as highly as I would have liked is the fact that their MSK training (for now) is mostly in private practice. They are actively seeking MSK staff though. Their benefits package is probably one of the best. Anyway, if the decision is too hard to make, remember this, CIR will put you up at a nice hotel, and take you out for an excellent dinner! Although I didn't match here, I'm a big advocate for their program, as it is the type of environment that I could see myself working in someday- community based/academic excellence. Charlotte is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
uab (birmingham) is ranked 26th by us news and world report.
CIR is also great, yea?

what to do, what to do? please help! i researched friedas and other stuff, but i wanna hear from those who may know more and/or different aspects of the program...

thank you...

caedmon said:
I can only speak for CIR. I spent a month there and it really is a great place. I posted some of my experiences in the Stories from the interview trail last year. I think reputation wise, CIR has a better rep. I was told by a leader in the field that this was the only program in the southeast I should interview at. I'm from the southeast and interviewed at more, but I do think CIR is the premier program in the SE. The only reason I didn't rank them as highly as I would have liked is the fact that their MSK training (for now) is mostly in private practice. They are actively seeking MSK staff though. Their benefits package is probably one of the best. Anyway, if the decision is too hard to make, remember this, CIR will put you up at a nice hotel, and take you out for an excellent dinner! Although I didn't match here, I'm a big advocate for their program, as it is the type of environment that I could see myself working in someday- community based/academic excellence. Charlotte is great.

I matched this year at UAB birmingham and I also interviewed at Charlotte IR. (Also interviewed at louisville, lexington, uva, vcu, ecu, unc and I spent a month at Mayo and I spent a month at Baylor in Dallas.) I really don't know why a "leader" in the field would collectively down all the programs in the southeast. That statement alone would make me suspect that bit of information. Did he have any specifics on why any of these programs were weak?

I'm a long way from interviews so forgive me for not being able to make a point for point comparison for the two progarms but i remember at the time that both CIR and Birmingham were two programs that I thought were very strong.

I was in the same predicament that you were in because last year UAB only offered a few interview dates and I had already made commitments to interview at other programs. In the end I wrote a letter/email telling them that I was very interested in their program and if they might have any other dates to interview. They eventually just gave me an alternative date. I'm very glad that I did not give up and let this program slide as I came away very impressed ...and well I matched there! :thumbup:

Yah, I'm not sure why he was so down on programs in the southeast. I would say he is a founder in the field of PM&R, from the midwest where most of the more reputable programs are, and also very opinionated and non-PC. Oh well. I didn't get to go to UAB as we weren't really looking at moving further south (from GA) and there were also problems with scheduling.

So both are good. Hmmm. I know this is asking too much, could somebody tell me which one's better, even though it may not be a politically correct thing to pick one, because I have to pick one and there're no other alternative dates that would work for me...

caedmon said:
Yah, I'm not sure why he was so down on programs in the southeast. I would say he is a founder in the field of PM&R, from the midwest where most of the more reputable programs are, and also very opinionated and non-PC. Oh well. I didn't get to go to UAB as we weren't really looking at moving further south (from GA) and there were also problems with scheduling.

What do you mean by better? I am not trying to be an ass, but they both seem like good programs. Choose the one that is more ideal for you.

pick one and move on

When is the date?
I might cancel Charlotte in favor of UC Davis soon.