somebody please tell me what the name of those screw IV's are!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW83

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
you screw the blue IV into the bone of the lower leg to start an IV thru the bone marrow..........what is the technical term for it?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

are you talking about an intraosseous infusion?

Yeah, sounds like you're talking about the intraosseous infusion (I/O catheter).

By the way we have these bad-ass adult ones now that you can use in the sternum!

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, we have those sternal I/O's on the ambulance now. FAST-1
I believe they're called. Pretty neat. Never have used one yet, but everyone that I know of that has used them has loved them, except for two, where the patients were too obese.

Did you see the demonstration video where the designer tested the sternal IO on HIMSELF??? (Actually, he had someone else to it to him w/ a local. OUCH!)

oh my God.........imagine this thing going thru your bone!:eek:

img_2_10.jpg

oudoc08 said:
I believe they're called. Pretty neat. Never have used one yet, but everyone that I know of that has used them has loved them, except for two, where the patients were too obese.

Did you see the demonstration video where the designer tested the sternal IO on HIMSELF??? (Actually, he had someone else to it to him w/ a local. OUCH!)

Although Adult IO's are good and really helpful I personally don't like the idea of having an IO in the sternum of a petient that I am working up in cardiac arrest. I need to do CPR there without getting injured or injuring a Pt. Placement of hands and etc. So if I have to do in IO on adult Pt. I would prefer the one that goes into the leg just like pediatric.

oudoc08 said:

At ACEP last October, I met a woman (RN) who had developed an adult IO with this guy (surgeon), and this may be the video you refer to, where they are the two people who get the IO done on themselves. (On rereading, I see that it is NOT the same one, since the one I speak of is not sternal.) The unit this woman was pushing has been used by the military for humeral head lines, and it can be screwed in by hand, or with an off-the-shelf, battery-powered Black and Decker screwdriver - fits right into the chuck and has the line in in less than 5 seconds.

SMW83 said:
you screw the blue IV into the bone of the lower leg to start an IV thru the bone marrow..........what is the technical term for it?!?!?!

By using your search string verbatim - "screw the blue IV into the bone of the lower leg to start an IV thru the bone marrow" on Google, the fourth link is this, which is EXACTLY what you were looking for.

Show some initiative and at least try to figure this stuff out.

nycmedic said:
Although Adult IO's are good and really helpful I personally don't like the idea of having an IO in the sternum of a petient that I am working up in cardiac arrest. I need to do CPR there without getting injured or injuring a Pt. Placement of hands and etc. So if I have to do in IO on adult Pt. I would prefer the one that goes into the leg just like pediatric.

But that's the whole point - if you have correctly inserted the sternal IO, if you are doing compressions in the location of the IO, your CPR is 100% black-letter WRONG. The IO is well-above where your compressions are; beyond the effectiveness (to getting to the marrow in the sternum), it would defeat the purpose if the IO was where you were doing compressions.

Here is the company video (Quicktime) how to do it - you can see how it is positioned.

It does work, and it is in ACLS now.

Thank you....now I have the title for the first album by the country band I'd like to form. A couple of us have been joking about calling the band Circle of Willis (simply because it would be like Pink Floyd, and most people would miss the source of the band's name totally).....keep an eye out for our first album "Screw the Blue IV". :smuggrin:

We got those sternal IO's in my state. Damn they look like a torture device!

The unit this woman was pushing has been used by the military for humeral head lines, and it can be screwed in by hand, or with an off-the-shelf, battery-powered Black and Decker screwdriver - fits right into the chock and has the line in in less than 5 seconds.

I think you are talking about the EZ-IO system. We just got those where I work. I haven't used one yet, but I've been told by those that have that it's excellent.

Apollyon said:
The unit this woman was pushing has been used by the military for humeral head lines, and it can be screwed in by hand, or with an off-the-shelf, battery-powered Black and Decker screwdriver - fits right into the chuck and has the line in in less than 5 seconds.

Jesus Christ, that puts a whole new twist on the term "HandyMan" :eek: :scared: :cool: