Someone...ANYONE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isupsych253

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can some people on this board PLEASE tell me the field of clinical psychology, or psychology in general is a good field to go into right now? (For someone who is about to graduate undergrad). All I have read the past week is people saying they regret their decisions to get into this field and how poor the pay, internships, and job market are.

Please either 1) say that this is all nonsense, or 2) say that the above IS true. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can some people on this board PLEASE tell me the field of clinical psychology, or psychology in general is a good field to go into right now? (For someone who is about to graduate undergrad). All I have read the past week is people saying they regret their decisions to get into this field and how poor the pay, internships, and job market are.

Please either 1) say that this is all nonsense, or 2) say that the above IS true. Thanks!

Sorry, some answers do not confine themselves to "choose 1 or 2". This is one of those. I would advise reading multiple perspectives, "regret their decisions to get into this field and how poor the pay, internships, and job market are." is definitely not the only view out there. In the past week I know I have posted "I do not regret it."

Regardless, you need to take in all of the challenges people are reporting and decide if you are up for them. Sorry this can't be distilled to a yes/no proposition.

Thank you for your response. I do understand that it may not be a "yes or no" type answer, but if you don't mind, state your opinion. I'd love to hear it!

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN induced anxiety attack.

You are asking the wrong questions. If you are going to go into this field, you need to know about the internship crisis, post-doc difficulties, and decreased job market and salary. Telling you everything is going to be okay isn't going to do you any favors. You need to ask is this worth the investment (time, opportunity cost, emotional capital) for you, compared to the other opportunities out there.

A lot of this is to be expected given our strange economic times. Some of the complaining is normal across fields. There are many posts in the medicine forums from MD students who wished they would have pursued dental school instead. The pharmacy forums have students who wished they would have pursued MD degrees, etc.

You CAN do well in psychology and many people do, however, the people that do well tend to specialize and have a specific plan (forensics, neuropsychology, VA, and military offer some good opportunities) or are willing to travel, have good business skills, etc. Basically, there are and will continue to be good opportunities in psychology, but they require more initiative than before (starting a niche private practice vs. landing a sweet salaried job after graduation).

Check out this brand new article.

Rajecki & Borden (2011) Psychology Degrees: Employment, Wage, and Career Trajectory Consequences

Having a bachelors or masters in psychology will put you in the bottom quartile of salaries (compared to other bachelors or masters degrees). Both at the beginning and middle of your career.

There are many current threads talking about this issue. Bottom line is what YOU want to do with the career. There are crappy jobs and there are good jobs. What do you see yourself doing and is the job (i.e., duties, payment) reasonable to you in terms of what you'd like for your life?

Haha, this is what happens when you read SDN too much. I've been suffering from it myself.

The way I'm dealing with it is to try and make my CV as awesome as possible to make me more competitive when it is time to find an internship, post-doc, and job. I know that a lot of people here say that is not enough, but what else can we do? I don't want to drop out of school, plus my second and third choice careers have just as lousy of prospects. ;)

We have a thread that discusses all this. Its on the first page here and is already 2 pages long. Why did we start another one?

gero psych or peds

Like most jobs...some do very well, some do not, and most fall somewhere in the middle. Most successful people find their niche, receive specific training (often a formal fellowship), and are pro-active in their professional pursuits.

Like most jobs...some do very well, some do not, and most fall somewhere in the middle. Most successful people find their niche, receive specific training (often a formal fellowship), and are pro-active in their professional pursuits.

This is what my gut feeling was. It's how it is for all occupations. Thanks

This is what my gut feeling was. It's how it is for all occupations. Thanks

Some fields are less competitive then others (e.g. medicine and nursing tends to be high in demand). Clinical psychology tends to be highly competitive. Your best bet for increasing your chances of success is to attend a reputable program, land an APA internship, and network beginning 1st year of grad school.