Someone calm my nerves...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiujitsuchick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and I am really worried about my GPA. I have a 3.5 as an undergrad and am still working on my grad gpa. I am hoping to do well on the MCAT because I forked over the $1500 for the Kaplan course... but I still can't get that nagging doubt in my mind that I'm just not good enough. Any suggestions? :( I start applying this summer and I want to know if there is anything left to build up my "portfolio of positive attributes..." I have a slew of volunteering, some potentially great letters of rec and not too shabby writing skills for the Essay portion. *sigh*

Members don't see this ad.

jiujitsuchick said:
Okay, so I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and I am really worried about my GPA. I have a 3.5 as an undergrad and am still working on my grad gpa. I am hoping to do well on the MCAT because I forked over the $1500 for the Kaplan course... but I still can't get that nagging doubt in my mind that I'm just not good enough. Any suggestions? :( I start applying this summer and I want to know if there is anything left to build up my "portfolio of positive attributes..." I have a slew of volunteering, some potentially great letters of rec and not too shabby writing skills for the Essay portion. *sigh*

As long as your science GPA is around a 3.5 GPA also and you get a 30 on the MCAT (with no score lower than a 9), your chances seem very good. Oh yes, and APPLY EARLY to a range of schools; hopefully your are taking the April MCAT so that is possible.

jiujitsuchick said:

Get as much clinical experience as possible, study hard for the mcat and you'll do fine! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Depakote said:
You're in good shape. You have a whole lot ahead of you. Don't get discouraged yet. And my MCAT was 17 points higher than my KAPLAN diagnostic.

Relax. Make up for it on the MCAT and with service/research. Apply early and rock all aspects of the application.

your gpa is competitive; stop worrying about that and focus solely on the mcat. like other posters have said, you need 30 to be in the game, so utilize all of your resources that kaplan gives you (okay, minus the topicals when the end approaches). kaplan worked for me, and i scored 6 pts higher than my final diagnostic...it's really about getting a positive attitude, so start now. oh, and while you're at it, definitely look to apply to a wide range of schools, not just top-10s, or you'll get screwed.

it really is a crapshoot.

good luck! you can do it.

med students worry too much. premeds are worse! The whole system is designed to make you think you're not good enough. But you are. If you can get a 3.5, you have the discipline required for med school. You just need to prove you have the critical thinking skills and the test-taking ability. And you will, especially if you took Kaplan.

And BTW, people get into med school with a 28 or 29. What's the worst that can happen? You have to take the MCAT over, or you take a year off...? If you keep going for it, it will happen for you. And you'll be older, more mature,and have more experiences under your belt.

Just keep plugging at it. You'll be fine! ;)

jiujitsuchick said:

Just tell the adcom members you'll put em' all in triangle chokes if they don't accept ya

Depakote said:
You're in good shape. You have a whole lot ahead of you. Don't get discouraged yet. And my MCAT was 17 points higher than my KAPLAN diagnostic.

holy crap... well that gives me hope :p