Someone help a fellow pre-med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_doctor_2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on graduating next Fall ‘19. I am a psychology major. So my gpa is not the best thing I’ll be around 3.2-3.5 overall by the time I graduate :(

I know my chances looking at only gpa is TOUGH but I do work in a hospital and have volunteered for many years consistently in hospitals plus I’ve worked in a psychology research lab for over a year.
My plan is to study for the mcat after I graduate and hopefully do really well (>510).
Can someone tell me when exactly I should take the mcat and start applying for medical school and what I should definitly do during this gap I’m taking? I was thinking of shadowing and more volunteer experience to show how I really am interested but was wondering if I should apply for the post -bacc or SJP programs as well to have a backup plan.

Also I’m open to both MD AND DO schools if that’s anything

Any suggestions are helpful!! Thanks (and I know this is very long)

Members don't see this ad.

You are 90 credits in and unsure if you will finish with a 3.2 or 3.5?
Focus on DO schools unless you finish at 3.5 and don’t stress the research that much. I think you are better for DO and lower MD with clinical experience and volunteer work. Also as a psych major... is your sGPA decent?

Reactions: 1 user
My psych gpa is great it’s my sciences that are bringing me down. I just have physics and organic chemistry 2 left to complete for my pre-req which is why my gpa can either go up to a 3.5 if I get atleast B in those classes.
DO schools i am absolutely looking at! Is taking the mcat in summer2020 at a good time to still get into that cycle of applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
My psych gpa is great it’s my sciences that are bringing me down. I just have physics and organic chemistry 2 left to complete for my pre-req which is why my gpa can either go up to a 3.5 if I get atleast B in those classes.
DO schools i am absolutely looking at! Is taking the mcat in summer2020 at a good time to still get into that cycle of applicants

A B is worth 3 points. So how can getting 2 B's (in orgo 2 and physics 2) raise your GPA to a 3.5?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The way I interpret it, if OP gets B's in orgo and physics and A's in their other courses, they'll get a 3.5. If OP doesn't do well in orgo and physics but still gets A's in their other courses, they won't get a 3.5

Yes!! Thank you! I don’t have just two classes remaining these two courses are my hardest courses to master. I still have elective courses as well that will boost me up.

unfortunately medical schools care very little about psych grades and more about science grades. Keep up the hard work, go get some help for your science classes and do the best you can.

unfortunately medical schools care very little about psych grades and more about science grades. Keep up the hard work, go get some help for your science classes and do the best you can.

Yet the P/S MCAT score isn't devalued.

So what is your sGPA? You need 50 hours shadowing including some with a primary care doc! You also need at least 150 hours of service to those less fortunate than yourself! Do the best you can and come back here with the final GPAS and your MCAT score. You are a couple of years away from applying. Much can change!

Your grades should be your number 1 priority, try to get a 3.8-4.0 your last semesters.

So what is your sGPA? You need 50 hours shadowing including some with a primary care doc! You also need at least 150 hours of service to those less fortunate than yourself! Do the best you can and come back here with the final GPAS and your MCAT score. You are a couple of years away from applying. Much can change!

After graduation I’m planning on completing all my shadowing and any service needed. Is 50 hours the minimum? I have over 200 volunteer hours. And I will have a medical mission trip on my resume.

And @jarednogeek that is my plan!

What’s the best way to study for the mcat? I was thinking of starting with the Kaplan books after next semester

Be aware that those medicial missions abroad trips aren’t that helpful to your application and do not substitute for work done in the US.

Reactions: 2 users
After graduation I’m planning on completing all my shadowing and any service needed. Is 50 hours the minimum? I have over 200 volunteer hours. And I will have a medical mission trip on my resume.

And @jarednogeek that is my plan!

What’s the best way to study for the mcat? I was thinking of starting with the Kaplan books after next semester
I did a self paced Kaplan course. I recommend 3 months of dedicated 40 hours a week studying. Maybe some people need more or less, but why chance your future. I spaced my studying out too much over like 6-8 months and it tired me out where my scores decreased towards the end.

I did a self paced Kaplan course. I recommend 3 months of dedicated 40 hours a week studying. Maybe some people need more or less, but why chance your future. I spaced my studying out too much over like 6-8 months and it tired me out where my scores decreased towards the end.

Cool thank you! I’ll definitly update this forum and let y’all know how this is going.

@future_doctor_2019 Out of curiosity, why are you graduating in fall of 2019?

Technically I will be done with my major (psychology) by spring semester which is one year early. But I need tofinish my premed courses and electives. My advisor told me to focus solely on the mcat and getting volunteer hours during that break I’ll have

I am planning on graduating next Fall ‘19. I am a psychology major. So my gpa is not the best thing I’ll be around 3.2-3.5 overall by the time I graduate :(

I know my chances looking at only gpa is TOUGH but I do work in a hospital and have volunteered for many years consistently in hospitals plus I’ve worked in a psychology research lab for over a year.
My plan is to study for the mcat after I graduate and hopefully do really well (>510).
Can someone tell me when exactly I should take the mcat and start applying for medical school and what I should definitly do during this gap I’m taking? I was thinking of shadowing and more volunteer experience to show how I really am interested but was wondering if I should apply for the post -bacc or SJP programs as well to have a backup plan.

Also I’m open to both MD AND DO schools if that’s anything

Any suggestions are helpful!! Thanks (and I know this is very long)

As a backup I’m definitly looking at Caribbean schools like Ross or St George’s but anyone have any info about the SMP programs vs post-bacc?

Thnx

As a backup I’m definitly looking at Caribbean schools like Ross or St George’s but anyone have any info about the SMP programs vs post-bacc?

Thnx

Avoid Carib. Unless a 50-50 chance if matching into residency appeals to you.