Someone please assist/shed some light on this issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intnlstdnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a huge dilemma. I am an international student here in the US and have been accepted into dental school to start in a few months. As some may know, intnl students are ineligible to apply for students loans (at least without a co-signer -who must be a US citizen or PR). I do not have any family here that I can ask to co-sign for my loans. For the past several months I have been trying to find ways to get through this obstacle but it's proving to be a matter I can't handle alone. I am a little frustrated and overwhelmed because we all know how difficult it is to get to this stage and I do not want to lose this opportunity! (It doesn't come everyday and I've worked soo hard (like many other predents) to get where I am today). Does anyone know who I can talk to or write to for assistance? I am in desperate need of any form of assistance. I would like to have the same chance as other students to attend school in July and it hurts me to think that lack of finances will be the thing that prevents me from achieving my goals, after making it this far...

If anyone could shed some light on this issue I would really appreciate it. I need some hope.... Thanks in advance.(Please respond:xf:)

Members don't see this ad.

Take private loans From your country of citizenship?

Why don't you call the financial aid office and explain to them your situation? Have you looked into Military scholarships, and checked to see if you could get on the track to obtain citizenship?

I asked a friend who was in a similar situation and here's what he said:

Basically I just found a cosigner with really good credit and a high income and I asked the school's financial aid office to actively work with the loan company. Our school's financial aid office has a direct liaison at Salliemae so they were able to talk to that person directly to get it expedited. The recession makes it a struggle but tell the person not to lose hope and keep pushing until they get it because that is key.