someone should tell them to look into pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allegri

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

‘I Am Worth It’: Why Thousands of Doctors in America Can’t Get a Job​

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
This article is all about people who went abroad for a medical degree and hoped to be able to match when they came back.

I have very little sympathy for their situation.

Up here in Canada a bunch of them and their rich parents lobbied the federal government to allow them to apply to exclusive spots for them and nobody else. What a joke!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
There should be an option for these doctors to receive 1-2 years training just like an NP/PA does which gives them a restricted license to practice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I find it hard to believe that no one informed these students of the downsides of going to non-US medical schools. I was certainly warned off of them when I was in college. All my mentors mentioned the poor matching rates for non-US grads. You took the risk and went to a non-US med school (or it was the only option because you were below the standard for US med schools). This is the result. Yes, the article also mentions that US med schools increased their admittance numbers while US residency spots did not grow, which also hurts. But everyone knew the lowest tier applicants would be impacted by that the most.

Reactions: 1 user
There should be an option for these doctors to receive 1-2 years training just like an NP/PA does which gives them a restricted license to practice!

There is just such a thing apparently.

Some of these carribean medical schools are fraudulent. I know people who went to school at some of these places and haven’t even taken Step 1 by 4th year! Some schools will admit just about anybody to make $$$$. It’s kinda sad. They play off of the dreams and hopes of people that want to be a doctor.

Most that don’t make it weren’t cut out for it in the first place. Others wanted to become a doc for the wrong reasons...$$$$ and prestige or their parents forced them. A Very costly lesson for some for sure.

I have a friend who passed all his Steps but couldn’t pass Step 3. He must have been in a lot of debt. He eventually quit medicine altogether.

There’s a reason why the bar is set high for us medical schools. So stuff like this doesn’t happen!

Nice job working the race card into the story...

I also have no sympathy for anyone who went to school in the Caribbean and not able to Match. Do some DD before you decide to spend a 1/4 million dollars on a degree that is slightly better than a coin toss for matching into a residency program.

can you get federal loans for these schools or is it only private? If private at least one could just default on the loans.

I agree... Puerto Rico does that and it has worked ok for them so far... No NP/PA except for CRNA.

Every state should do what Missouri and Arkansas do (the AP license)...

Let's put NP 'out of business' so to speak