Someone tell me about the SUNY schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawaiichris

throw me the damn ball
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've heard a lot about the SUNY schools but coming from Hawaii, I really don't know anything about them. Are they good schools? Do they accept OOS? Are they in nice areas (I heard NYMC is in booney-land)? Urban or rural? Any other information or opinions?

C.Koo

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I've heard a lot about the SUNY schools but coming from Hawaii, I really don't know anything about them. Are they good schools? Do they accept OOS? Are they in nice areas (I heard NYMC is in booney-land)? Urban or rural? Any other information or opinions?

C.Koo

Wow, I didn't know you guys in Hawaii don't have internet...

Wait, you're posting on here...

And yet you haven't looked at the schools website or used the searchbar on SDN...

The lack of logic is giving me a headache...time for vodka.

Hey everyone,

C.Koo

many different suny schools, all with different programs. maybe a specific question? I think a better question to ask would be something like how happy are their students or something along that lines would be better received. a question like that would not be easily derived from a few clicks. just a tip though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

C.Koo

First off, NYMC is not a SUNY. You have Downstate (Brooklyn), Stony Brook (Long Island), Upstate (Syracuse), and Buffalo. Don't know where they are? Use a map. Sure they'll take OOS, but their priority is first to people like me (IS). Second, hardly anyone can get into UHawaii OOS, so why not stick around there? I doubt you like the cold and shovelling snow, so NY may not be your best fit.

First off, NYMC is not a SUNY. You have Downstate (Brooklyn), Stony Brook (Long Island), Upstate (Syracuse), and Buffalo. Don't know where they are? Use a map. Sure they'll take OOS, but their priority is first to people like me (IS). Second, hardly anyone can get into UHawaii OOS, so why not stick around there? I doubt you like the cold and shovelling snow, so NY may not be your best fit.
Upstate does not give preference to instate residents - they're the only SUNY schools that has this policy.