• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Something I'm noticing for the upcoming year

openstage

2+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2018
  1. Medical Student
I was looking online for opportunities for incoming med students to contribute to the community and expand our resume of experiences. Particularly in the summer between M1 and M2. What I've noticed is that many things are being shut down for obvious safety reasons. These would include Clubs and Leadership, Free Clinics, outreach and educational programs in the community, some of the University research programs, Global Medicine trips. I'd bet this is common this year in many schools. So can you guess my selfish / self centered question?

When it comes time to apply for residency in a few years, will students coming out of these schools, without these opportunities, be at a competitive disadvantage? Will they be viewed in lesser way?

Kpw101

Jul 18, 2013
  1. Medical Student
I don’t think so. Many people are not that productive during that summer and still match into some very competitive specialties. Some people change their mind super late into third year/fourth year and then decide on a competitive speciality. They still do fine.

There is definitely some inherent disadvantage in not having a productive summer. But it isn’t anything that is difficult to compensate for in the later years or taking a year off to set up for successful match.

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I was looking online for opportunities for incoming med students to contribute to the community and expand our resume of experiences. Particularly in the summer between M1 and M2. What I've noticed is that many things are being shut down for obvious safety reasons. These would include Clubs and Leadership, Free Clinics, outreach and educational programs in the community, some of the University research programs, Global Medicine trips. I'd bet this is common this year in many schools. So can you guess my selfish / self centered question?

When it comes time to apply for residency in a few years, will students coming out of these schools, without these opportunities, be at a competitive disadvantage? Will they be viewed in lesser way?
No one can predict the future

And yes, tons of things are being shut down.

This is a once in a century event, and here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and the public, is more important than your medical education and career.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

openstage

2+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2018
  1. Medical Student
This is a once in a century event, and here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and the public, is more important than your medical education and career.

Yes, I get it, 100%. And my health and the well being of others is paramount. But we also know there's a lot at stake - years of hard work, hundreds of thousands in debt. I'm just wondering if this abridged education will be hard for students to overcome? Especially if your school doesn't have the pedigree and reputation of T-20 schools. Will good grades, high Step scores and LOR be enough?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Yes, I get it, 100%. And my health and the well being of others is paramount. But we also know there's a lot at stake - years of hard work, hundreds of thousands in debt. I'm just wondering if this abridged education will be hard for students to overcome? Especially if your school doesn't have the pedigree and reputation of T-20 schools. Will good grades, high Step scores and LOR be enough?
You and some 25-30,000 med school grads will be facing the same issues by the time you hit residency. PDs will have to accomodate you somehow; they're not stupid.

I have plenty of students who simply take the summer off in normal times, They match fine. You also have two solid clinical years to build up your CVs, and by that time, there will be a vaccine for COVID.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student

Here is the the definitive answer: nobody knows but more importantly there is nothing you can do about it. Unfortunately the global impact of the pandemic will affect a generation and plans will be altered. You can only do what you can

Med Ed

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
  1. Attending Physician

Application for residency is very different from application to medical school, and most of the things you mention will not carry much weight. The core things that do matter are reliability, decision making, work ethic, and a demonstrated ability to get along with others. A lot of that comes through in letters of recommendation. Certain highly competitive fields resort to things like research productivity in order to differentiate between a pool of uniformly stellar applicants.

Reactions: 3 users

TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2017
  1. Medical Student
I think even if it's not necessary for residency, there's definitely a loss with the closure of things like student clinics. Being on the staff of a student clinic has been by far one of the most important experiences of medical school for me, in terms of personal and clinical growth. For what it's worth though, while opportunities are definitely severely limited, some of the typical med student activities have found creative ways to continue in the current environment, and new ones have emerged. The student clinic I worked for has transitioned to telehealth for the time being - not sure how they're planning to bring on new first year students but I imagine they'll find a way to incorporate some of them. I've also seen lots of students getting heavily involved in COVID relief efforts, research studies, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.