something I've noticed about VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I'm teetering between a 9-11 on my VR scores for AAMC practice tests (I really want a 10+ on the real thing). I've noticed that one of my biggest problem is that I overthink a lot of the questions... spend too much time reading them and looking for the answers in the text and making sure I'm as certain as possible. After doing this for several tests, I've noticed that all the answers seem to be the ones that jump out at me from the beginning (usually the most obvious answer choices), and that almost 100% of the time, if another answer choice SEEMS completely irrelevant (like it talks about something that wasn't even mentioned in the passage), it's usually wrong.

I guess I'm just so used to being "tricked" on tests, that I tend to overthink these questions and therefore avoid choosing the answers that seem "too obvious," even if they are correct. I was just wondering if I'm right in my analysis. Are the answers really that straightforward/obvious? For those who consistently score 10+ on VR, do you usually find yourself just going with your gut instinct when answering questions? If that's the way it's done, it might change the way I approach the VR section..

Oh, by the way, the AAMC tests I've taken are #3-6. Would you say those are pretty representative? Or are 7-10 even better for VR?

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed the same thing! A good number of the questions I miss are often the result of me over-analyzing and over-interpreting the content of the passages. I think that the "gut-feeling-approach" is the way to go.

I'm no pro. at VR (I'm getting 9's and 10's on the EK VR 101), but this is what EK stresses: read the passage, get the main idea, and tackle the questions with what you have got (and they say sometimes not to go back to the passage!). They also say, unlike in the sciences, answering VR questions will leave you uncertain and skeptical. But that's how you have to be to do well on this. So yes, go with your gut and get through it all. It's tough to finish the passages on time any other way!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Never re-read a passage. I'm serious here, never do it. I know it's very tempting, but don't.

Well, my friend who took the MCAT said that with the "new" style of the verbal section, he almost had the time to read some passages nearly twice (or at least large sections of them). Why? Well he said that unlike the practice tests, the passages were longer, but the questions were much simpler and not as vague. Furthermore, the passages themselves read smoothly, so he could read them quickly without pausing much. He said that there was no need to spend a whole lot of time analyzing the question choices, so he took that time and spent it on the passage. He finished just about 5 seconds before the clock ran out and got a 12.

I agree with just answering the questions and most times I do not go back and read the passage again.

But, if it says lines so and so, then I go back and read it again because I may not remember enough.

I usually averaged a 11-12 on practice tests and got a 10 on the real thing.

The thing that hurt me most was a person next to me typing LOUD as I was finishing my verbal. I mean she banging the keys. It broke my concentration and I think cost me a point. I know I was killing it before that.

So, try to get there early and start first and be ahead of others so that this will not happen to you.

PS, I was wearing the headphones too!

The thing that hurt me most was a person next to me typing LOUD as I was finishing my verbal. I mean she banging the keys. It broke my concentration and I think cost me a point. I know I was killing it before that.

THAT WOULD SUCK!!!!! Wow I would be pissed man...I get mad when kids talk in the library and I'm doing a VR haha