Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Something just hit me.... check it out...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ocean11, Oct 24, 2002.

1. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

O.K you know how the stats books say.... 5,000 applicants to a certain medical school, I think its alot LESS than that BECAUSE those applicants are the ones that go through AMCAS BUT what about the amount of applicants that actually submit secondaries... I'm sure its alot less than say the 5,000 initial applicants; even if all of them do get the chance to submit the secondaries.....

does anyone have any info about the actual amount of applicants submitting secondaries?!?!?

Get back

Thanx

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. abw

abw Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you're right about your idea. When Georgetown sends out their secondary, they list the numbers of students who 1. apply through amcas, 2. send in secondaries, 3 get interview, etc. For curiousity's sake, I compared the numbers to usnews report, and the number who apply in the report is = to the number who apply through amcas, not the number after screening (not that georgetown screens, but a significant # of people don't fill out the secondary). hope that helps!

4. Ninjaboy

Ninjaboy Taneuma
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can look at these numbers through US News, but now you have to pay for that type of stuff.

5. siempre595

7+ Year Member

I think you've got a good point. I was on some school's website the other nite (forgot which). It said something about receiving 8000 applications and only 4000 secondaries back, and it sends to everyone. I think a lot of people just don't bother, or else opt out of a certain school for various reasons.

6. DrBravesgirl

DrBravesgirl Surgeon for a year
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    the dean of the medical school affiliated with my undergrad university gives a talk every year to the premeds at my school...and that was one of his major points. he did this whole powerpoint presentation on how all schools (including the one at which he's the dean of admissions) give the total number of AMCAS applicants, but don't offer the number of how many secondaries they receive. basically, he said that they got 8k amcas apps last year, but only about 5500 "complete" apps, from which they interviewed about 900 students. not a bad ratio at all for a well-ranked private school.