DO Something major happened yesteady that completely changed my life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itsarainbow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just yesterday my father passed and I will only go to school if it's close to my house and mom which is touro in vallejo, CA. What are my chances of getting into that specific school?

Gpa: 3.42
Mcat: attempt #1: 499 (126, 123, 126, 124)
I was really disappointed in my score because I was doing much better on the practice exams but I just froze up during the exam due to test anxiety.
Attempt #2: 513 (129, 126, 130, 128)

EC: 150 hours at rehabilition/hospital. facilitiy
20 hours of shadowing a MD
3 years of research (got a LOR under the professor (MD/Phd) I was working under for 2 out of the 3 years
100 hours at a community zoo
20 hours volunteer at school

I had posted earlier but now I need my chance at this specific school. I will submit my primary mid September

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Just yesterday my father passed and I will only go to school if it's close to my house and mom which is touro in vallejo, CA. What are my chances of getting into that specific school?

I was really disappointed in my score because I was doing much better on the practice exams but I just froze up during the exam due to test anxiety.

3 years of research (got a LOR under the professor (MD/Phd) I was working under for 2 out of the 3 years

I had posted earlier but now I need my chance at this specific school. I will submit my primary mid September

While having to deal with the loss of a loved one can be difficult, if you want to be a doctor, you really should consider other locations as well. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is not likely to succeed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

Edit: I should have read your OP better. Your stats are in line with their numbers. My school averages, you'd be fine for mine as well.

Do NOT apply to a single school! What if you decide that you Don't like Touro CA???

OR you get rejected?

Hello,

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

Edit: I should have read your OP better. Your stats are in line with their numbers. My school averages, you'd be fine for mine as well.

Do NOT apply to a single school! What if you decide that you Don't like Touro CA???

OR you get rejected?

Then he'll have an extra year to consider his options/spend time with his mom, and he can apply again with possibly more schools next cycle.
Nothing wrong with it in my opinion considering he'll only be a reapplicant for Touro.

Reapplying always will evoke the interview question of: "How have you improved since the last cycle?" If the answer is unsatisfactory, and I've seen this happen, then OP would be rejected again.

Then he'll have an extra year to consider his options/spend time with his mom, and he can apply again with possibly more schools next cycle.
Nothing wrong with it in my opinion considering he'll only be a reapplicant for Touro.

Reapplying always will evoke the interview question of: "How have you improved since the last cycle?" If the answer is unsatisfactory, and I've seen this happen, then OP would be rejected again.

Hi Goro

Right now, I'm aiming to finish my primary by the beggining or mid september. Wold I be at a disadvantage by applying this late?

I was not going to apply solely to this school but a broad number of them. I know I can wait but then I will be 26 when I start school and for the next 2 years struggling I with small jobs and not going foward with a career. My plan is to push through this and start school next year so I can take on the responsibility of my mother and brother.

You're fine then. The DO cycle is longer than MD.

Hi Goro

Right now, I'm aiming to finish my primary by the beggining or mid september. Wold I be at a disadvantage by applying this late?

I was not going to apply solely to this school but a broad number of them. I know I can wait but then I will be 26 when I start school and for the next 2 years struggling I with small jobs and not going foward with a career. My plan is to push through this and start school next year so I can take on the responsibility of my mother and brother.

Doesn't matter now since OP said he's applying to multiple, but that has nothing to do with your argument of not applying to just one school.

Assuming he does absolutely no ECs during his application year, applying now to multiple schools but only wanting to go to Touro and getting rejected, is worse than applying just to Touro and getting rejected. He's getting rejected in either scenario, but at least in the latter one, he isn't a reapplicant for every other school.

Now if you said "Don't apply to schools until you're ready", that would be a different story. But I think OPs stats are fine for Touro.
Worst case scenario for only applying to Touro is that he's potentially wasting a year if he gets rejected.

Last edited:
What would be my chances at UC davis and Northgate? Both are also close by

What would you say about Davis in that case? At this point in the application proceess, would it be like giving away free money?

I don't know exactly what kind of residency I want to go into but I don't want my chances to be limited when the time comes. Do you think with the upcoming merger that DOs will have a better chance at the more competitive residencies? I know I might not be the smartest guy in my school but I will outwork almost everyone and I would not like it if my choices are limited due to the 2 letters behind my name.

Dude CNU is way better than Touro. MD > DO, end of story. IMO the CNU story is gonna be just like RVU, where everyone on here was talking **** about it until the match lists came out and they were like... oh **** this match list is surprisingly good.

You deserve better than "D"O.

From doing some research, applying Northstate looks like financial sucide. My family is not wealthy.

Last edited:
Would you gus reccomend applying to UC Davis at this point?

Dude CNU is way better than Touro. MD > DO, end of story. IMO the CNU story is gonna be just like RVU, where everyone on here was talking **** about it until the match lists came out and they were like... oh **** this match list is surprisingly good.

You deserve better than "D"O.

:troll: