Something Quirky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SockMonster

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright so i know that some ppl choose to do their PhD's in history, english, etc. which is kinda quirky, but do u think it would fly tryin to do a PhD in molecular astrophysics or something like that?

i mean it doesn't really have anything to do with medicine but i simply adore that sorta stuff... i just don't know what to do.... it's this darn goldwater scholarship application making me hafta choose right now. i've always wanted to be a surgeon... i always wanted to find a cure for alzheimer's, but i'm torn between PhD possibilites in neuroscience or astrophysics. i just don't know what to do..... :(

Sock

Members don't see this ad.

yo sock,
i snagged one of them goldwaters --- it doesn't matter what you put at all, as long it fits the following requirements:

it is science, the more quantitative the better

you say you want to do a phd - they are looking out for md's trying to boost their resumes, it will kill your app - in the same spirit i wouldn't put down things like volunteering in a clinic on your app

nothing you say is binding, they simply wire the money to an account from which you assumably use it for paying tuition or board.

if you can construct a convincing application (a problem with experimental solution and implications of various results) with astrophysics, go ahead -- if you can do a better job with neurosci, do that

if you have experience in any of the aforementioned subjects in terms of lab work, go with that one

there are many other tips i can give for this stuff if you have more q's - i've helped a few people write successful apps.

some proposals are 'in vogue' with the committee for a particaulr year - liek neuroscience was a few years for the bio people, then my year computational bio flicked their switch, pretty much try to see whats going to be 'hot' in the near future (though this certainly isn't a requirement)

here's my proposal (there should be more on file at your school) - just to get an idea. i wouldn't recommend jackin it;), won't get you far these days -

http://www.intransit.us/misc/essayword.pdf

the idea now has an nih grant ridin on it - though my professor left to warmer lands (ucsd)

if you have anymore questions holla at me

-jot

Wow!! i feel like i'm talking to a superstar :clap: i'm such a geek... so do u think i should forget about the MD on the application? i feel that it would probably hurt me on the app because they don't seem too fond of the MD/PhD, but i don't wanna lie. i guess i'll go with the molecular astrophysics because my majors (chem and phys) seem to support that more. bad thing is that i have no research as of yet (would have.. but i'm not bitter +pissed+ ) do u think that lack of formal research by junior year will completely hurt me? oiy vay

ur more helpful than the college advisor... yay... jot's my hero!!

Sock

while many people put md/phd on their application and get accepted (see act.org/goldwater) - you have to be able to justify it very well, and convince them right there that you will go into academic research. i wasn't ready to do it at the time, you have to understand your own motives well, and be able to execute it in brevia.

if you are oging to write about astrophysics, don't put down md/phd - it will just look wacky. a lack of research won't kill your app by any means- especially in astrophysics. in biology it might, cause the apps are so competitive in that field.

i honestly feel you'll have a better chance with phd in astrophysics or chem or something - just on paper - but again, the most crucial part is the essay, something that needs to be pretty polished (though in retrosepct mine is still kinda rough, and not always so coherent haha).

if you have more q's about this you can im me jothe8jot

goodluck - the deadlines soon eh?

-jot