Something to keep in mind when receiving acceptance letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone getting those wonderful thick letters and euphoric phone calls. A terrific accomplishment, well deserving after much sweat and many long years of hard work and dedication. Go out and celebrate, you deserve it. Just keep in mind as you talk to other pre-med friends and people on sdn that for each person accepted at their dream school there are many more people rejected or waitlisted at that same school, many just as deserving of admittance as you. They too worked hard and devoted many years to working towards this same goal only to be disappointed or for some, even devastated. As you scream and jump for you please be cognizant of those not as fortunate, the may be really hurting. All the best to everyone in this most stressful process.

Members don't see this ad.

Leave it to you, PsychoDoctor, to be the forum killjoy. What would we do without you? :rolleyes:

Psycho Doctor said:
there are many more people rejected or waitlisted at that same school, many just as deserving of admittance as you.
Apparently not. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
Congrats to everyone getting those wonderful thick letters and euphoric phone calls. A terrific accomplishment, well deserving after much sweat and many long years of hard work and dedication. Go out and celebrate, you deserve it. Just keep in mind as you talk to other pre-med friends and people on sdn that for each person accepted at their dream school there are many more people rejected or waitlisted at that same school, many just as deserving of admittance as you. They too worked hard and devoted many years to working towards this same goal only to be disappointed or for some, even devastated. As you scream and jump for you please be cognizant of those not as fortunate, the may be really hurting. All the best to everyone in this most stressful process.

That statement is the essence of tightness. :thumbup:

Modesty is so important in this crazy process.

PD posted this same thing around MCAT time. I know because I was a lurker! I find it interesting that he makes a point to spread this message. I think most people here have enough sense and tact not to rub their acceptances in others' faces, but hey, I guess a reminder never hurts.

criminallyinane said:
PI think most people here have enough sense and tact not to rub their acceptances in others' faces

A dangerous assumption to say the least.

criminallyinane said:
PD posted this same thing around MCAT time. I know because I was a lurker! I find it interesting that he makes a point to spread this message. I think most people here have enough sense and tact not to rub their acceptances in others' faces, but hey, I guess a reminder never hurts.
I knew I wasn't thinkin things! haha. but i do agree. being humble is a big thing.

getunconcsious said:
Leave it to you, PsychoDoctor, to be the forum killjoy. What would we do without you? :rolleyes:

ha ha, agreed

Psycho Doctor said:

Thank you for saying this. I wish I had one acceptance.

getunconcsious said:

we'd be a lot less jesus-centered, that's for goshdern sure.

Thank you PD for helping us keep our heads on straight and our focus on the Lord! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Psycho Doctor said:

Thanks mom/mr. rogers! :D

Not that I would want cocky accepts running around smothering all surrounding premeds with their triumphs but when you think of it, premed friendships are really weird. I mean its only human for one premed to feel jealous/ bad when his premed friend gets what he doesnt but Really! I'd rather have my friend beat me out than just some nameless faceless person.

I knew people who wouldnt even tell their premed friends when they got an interview at their top choice school. What kind of friendship is that?

I kinda like to see people on sdn suceed, even when I fail. At least I know that the process is working. But you are right. Gloating is always unbecoming.

CELEBRATE AWAY!!!! There is nothing wrong with being excited about getting accepted and celebrating and sharing it with your friends. So for all of you out there who get accepted, feel free to fire up the "Holy crap, I can't believe I got in, I'm excited!" attitude and congratulations, cause you earned it. Let everyone know if it makes you happy! If people get jealous, screw them, that's their problem. Most people will be happy for you so don't worry about the few who aren't.

Mind you, obviously you don't want to go around with your nose in the air and the attitude of "I'm better than you because I got into school X and you didn't", but airing happiness isn't a bad thing. As long as you don't rub it in or keep on carrying on about it, letting people know you are excited is fine.

It's all about tact and knowing that you can't make everyone happy anyway, so stop trying to.

Code Brown you say it so well. Right on, at least in my book.

i appreciated psycho's post.

Code Brown said:
CELEBRATE AWAY!!!! There is nothing wrong with being excited about getting accepted and celebrating and sharing it with your friends. So for all of you out there who get accepted, feel free to fire up the "Holy crap, I can't believe I got in, I'm excited!" attitude and congratulations, cause you earned it. Let everyone know if it makes you happy! If people get jealous, screw them, that's their problem. Most people will be happy for you so don't worry about the few who aren't.

Mind you, obviously you don't want to go around with your nose in the air and the attitude of "I'm better than you because I got into school X and you didn't", but airing happiness isn't a bad thing. As long as you don't rub it in or keep on carrying on about it, letting people know you are excited is fine.

It's all about tact and knowing that you can't make everyone happy anyway, so stop trying to.

Nothing wrong with celebrating, but I personally don't go around saying "I got into schools X, Y, Z, ..." unless someone asks.

yeah, I guess I see what you're saying.

[sigh]... I'll be glad when this whole process is over and I dont have to watch my every word anymore.

Tra La La said:
Nothing wrong with celebrating, but I personally don't go around saying "I got into schools X, Y, Z, ..." unless someone asks.

Obviously you're not going to go up to complete strangers and tell them, but I would expect that you could do that with your friends when you run into them. I love to hear their success stories too.

Btw, your wheelie avatar reminded me of something I saw today. A guy was trying to pull a stoppie at an intersection this afternoon and must have had some sideways motion when he did it because on top of going up, he swung the bike slightly sideways. When he came down, since he wasn't straight (and still moving of all things!), he fell off the bike and into the middle of the intersection. Since he had it in neutral, the bike was still humming along on it's side. Gixer plastic everywhere. It was the funniest thing (well, at least for the forty or so people who saw it :D )

Yeah, I see what you're saying Psycho... although i think most of us try to be tactful :) But the same time, if someone on sdn I really like gets in someplace awesome, I'll be just as happy as if i had gotten in :D