Something Unique to stand out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtanch2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if a few of you could post some of your unique experiences in undergrad. I'm a traditional student and was hoping to hear some ideas that would pique my interests.

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think a better idea would be to do something that you reallly enjoy and when you talk about it your passion and excitement are readily apparent. That would be more impressive to an adcom then some random thing you did that doesnt evoke the same response. As for unique projects its sort of hard to stand out unless you are like those people who are olympic medalists or something like that. Everyone has done medical missions to the point where its as commonplace as ER volunteering or being an EMT. Everything has been done to death. Theres not a whole lot you could do that they wouldnt have already seen.

Hey all, I was wondering if a few of you could post some of your unique experiences in undergrad. I'm a traditional student and was hoping to hear some ideas that would pique my interests. :xf: I have all of the expected research, clinical, etc. but would really like something interesting to do, and to have on my app, such as a cool volunteer project, something interesting you did abroad?

I am a survivor of the Darfur war.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Hey all, I was wondering if a few of you could post some of your unique experiences in undergrad. I'm a traditional student and was hoping to hear some ideas that would pique my interests. :xf: I have all of the expected research, clinical, etc. but would really like something interesting to do, and to have on my app, such as a cool volunteer project, something interesting you did abroad?

Focus on what makes you unique. What do you like to do when you're not in organic chem lab? Do you like to cook? Bike? Run? Paint? Play the accordion? Develop your skills and you'll have something interesting to talk about.

I was shot nine times then went on to release a multi-platinum record. One day, I got bored with money so now I'm going to med school.

I was shot nine times then went on to release a multi-platinum record. One day, I got bored with money so now I'm going to med school.
Are you for real? That same thing happened to me. I only went platinum once though due to some controversial lyrics.

As for interesting UG experiences, I did two co-ops working on jet engines and one on building automation. You may need an engineering background though...

you should build a ferris wheel, it'd be mad interesting

totally unrelated, but Elijah05, every time i see your avatar, it makes me smile. you have the cutest kid! :)
lol thanks its one of my favorite pictures i have of him. Everytime i see him i think thank god he looks like his mom not me. Sad to say but, if he looked like me hed be one ugly kid:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget the notion of trying to be "unique" since it is (in my humble opinion) just about impossible to do unless you've done something undeniably extraordinary (as was stated above). Focus instead on being balanced/interesting, by getting good grades/doing well on the MCAT, demonstrating a genuine interest in medicine, and by dedicating yourself to activities that truly interest you. This recipe will help to make you an attractive applicant with an interesting story, which is crucial to landing interviews down the line. Whether or not you are the only applicant of your kind is of little importance; you will have no way of knowing if that is actually the case.

I'm the president of a non-profit organization founded after I started college. Based two states away, with people on the board from across the country.

i crushed many super-mutant behemoths

and sometimes i wasn't even using psycho

i crushed many super-mutant behemoths

and sometimes i wasn't even using psycho

Haha, love that game. :thumbup: Played it 3 hours a day in the week directly preceding the MCAT. I regret nothing! :laugh:

Try doing something you honestly like to do. Find a way to incorporate it into volunteering or community service.

It's so hard to be unique now adays. There are so many applicants from so many backgrounds who have accomplished so many things...even the African babies are losing their luster. And that's not good for Africa.

Haha, love that game. :thumbup: Played it 3 hours a day in the week directly preceding the MCAT. I regret nothing! :laugh:

i already posted it in the 'top reasons why my MCAT was low' thread... haven't got the scores back yet, but if it is low that game will be the reason.

like you, i have no regrets!!

Well thank HALF or less of you for answer my question honestly. I thought this forum might be a somewhat professional place to come and get answers...

they're not trying to avoid your question. it's just that there isn't a better answer than the one you've been given... be yourself, work hard, and see where that takes you. premeds doing things simply to be admitted are a dime a dozen, and as long as you are a part of activities that you truly enjoy and you value your presence there, that will be an unique activity.

Well thank HALF or less of you for answer my question honestly. I thought this forum might be a somewhat professional place to come and get answers...

oh wah wah. :cry:

Best advice ever given to me by a med school adcom member is be yourself, if you can't even tell a good story about yourself then I think you need to start brainstorm on how you get to where you are at right now. I am assuming you are not one of those pre-meds that know they want to be a doctor when they're squeezing out of their mother's womb.

I wasn't looking for ideas to just say "oh that looks good!" and start doing it. I was more interested in hearing others' ideas and then extrapolating something that might seem worth it to me if it piqued my interests.

i'm a DJ and occasionally travel to NYC and boston for gigs in lounges/clubs (in addition to my local area). My personal statement compares medicine to hip-hop...hopefully it stands out enough.

how did you compare hip hop to medicine?

I DJ also and this sounds interesting..

You can't just choose what to do for the sake of uniqueness. Follow what's in you heart and see if anything turns out unique.

For me, I was a concert pianist and part-time zookeeper.:thumbup:

I can fly airplanes...it's pretty sweet :)

i learned to shove food up my a$s and po0p out my mouth when i was 4

Doing a "Wednesday Night Live" thing which is a spin off of Saturday Night live. Every 3-4 months, me and a group of friends will get together, make skits, and videos, etc. Then, on the day of the event, one of us will host the whole thing from the start, to dinner, to the end (usually me). We will do our skits live, and then even show videos of what we did on a big projector screen. We also put the cherry on top by inviting guests to it, such as Deans, Doctors from a nearby university hospital, department chairs, etc. etc.
The whole complete SNL experience :)
Any money raised was donated to charity :)

Sports, Unique volunteer experiences. I was shot at as a kid..thats a nice little story.

most people aren't unique, they are typical premed nerds that have the same activities, BUT if you focus on yourself for a little bit, I'm sure you can find one little detail or some hobby that makes you unique or somewhat unique in a crazy premed pool

I volunteered on the international space station as a social worker for astronauts with emotional problems. I had to quit though because I got shot. Made an album to tell my story: "Space Thugs Crew (STC) Intergalactic Thugin'" Went quadruple platinum intergalactically.